Bucharest

Chapter 3

Abi stood back slightly, smiling, as Bucky talked to a woman behind a market stall about plums. She noticed the way he was using his metal hand to handle the fruit. She'd seen that arm used for devastating purposes but here he was now being extremely gentle. She couldn't help but smile.

He turned to find her grinning at him. "What?"

"Nothing." She replied taking his hand as they carried on walking.

A police car approached and they could hear the sirens. Abi felt Bucky tense and grip her hand a little tighter. She rubbed circles on the back of his hand as it passed and he relaxed.

"How about you go and get the bread, and I'll go and get some milk?" Sha said moving to stand in front of him.

"You sure?" He asked.

"What's the worst that can happen? I'll meet you back at the apartment." She stood on her toes and pressed a small kiss to his lips before walking off.

He watched her go but noticed a man in a newsstand that had been watching them. He glanced for Abi, but she was already out of sight. As he walked up to the stand the guy ran away. He picked up a paper and saw a photo of himself. The headline was about a bombing in Vienna that he was being blamed for. He turned and started back for the apartment. He couldn't go after Abi; there were too many ways she could have gone. He would just have to wait for her or, if things went sideways, they had a plan.

When Bucky got back Steve was already there. Sam had just told him that the German special forces were closing in.

Steve turned and looked Bucky up and down. "Do you know me?" Steve asked.

"You're Steve." Bucky said. "You're Abi's brother."

"Where is she?" Steve questioned.

"We weren't in Vienna. We don't do that anymore." Bucky told him.

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now. And they're not planning on taking either of you alive." Steve said. "I need you to tell me where Abi is."

"She's at the market." Bucky said.

"Sam." Steve said.

"On it." Sam replied over comms.

They heard steps on the roof and in the stairwell.

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck." Steve tried.

"It always ends in a fight." Bucky replied, taking his gloves off.

"Got her." Sam told Steve as he spotted Abi.

She handed over the money for the milk but ducked to the side and spun round as a black clawed hand tried to punch her. She looked at the man who was dressed in a bullet proof, black suit that resembled a panther.

"Who the hell are you?" Abi asked.

She didn't get a reply as he swung at her again. She smashed the milk bottle over his head and then sent him flying using her powers. She noticed Sam flying towards her and looked to the apartment block.

"Bucky." She muttered as she set of sprinting to the block.

Meanwhile, a series of grenades came through the windows of the apartment. Steve knocked one back out with his shield and Bucky kicked him another which he put his shield over. They tried to smash in the door as Bucky pulled the mattress off the bed to stop a shotgun shell. He pushed the mattress to one side and flipped the tale into the door; blocking it so they couldn't get in. Some guys came through the window and Bucky shoved one back out while Steve decked and knocked out another. Steve opened the balcony door and Bucky kicked another guy off.