Chapter 16: A Strange Question

A/N: Merry Christmas peeps!

Gem walked towards the castle window and sighed. She walked right to her mirror and stared at her reflection for a few seconds before walking back to the window.

"Mistress, you're not going to jump off are you?" Elizabeth asked as she watched her pace back and forth impatiently.

"No, of course not," Gem said, a little annoyed. She had been here for a few days but already, she felt like killing herself. There was absolutely nothing to do. All she was in charge of was to show up downstairs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. She hated the boredom and the insanity that came with it. At least she had Elizabeth as companion but it was not really comforting to say the least. Neither of them had anything to do.

"Then why are you walking towards the window and back again?" Elizabeth raised her eyebrows.

"The boredom is driving me crazy," Gem snapped. "There's nothing to do here. How can these vampires live here for centuries?"

"Wine, good food and sex," Elizabeth said plainly.

"I'm not sure the undead can get laid," Gem said.

"Of course they can."

"It's scientifically not possible." Gem raised her eyebrows. "They can't get stiff when no blood can rush through them. It's just not possible."

"Not entirely, m'am." Elizabeth smiled with a sly grin. "And I'm telling this from personal experience."

"Oh really?" Gem looked at her servant with new interest. "And which dalliance was it?"

"It was a long time ago," the maid replied. "He was a young one and we had a brief but intense affair. Alas, he was staked and he died in flames."

"Ah, I apologize for that," Gem said slowly though her voice held little emotion. She had not much feelings for the vampiric race. After all, vampires were cold-hearted and didn't deserve to be cared about. If it had been up to her, she would rather the vampiric race die out

"It was nothing," Elizabeth said but her voice trembled. Whoever that vampire was, Elizabeth still remained to be smitten with him.

"Eliza-" Gem began.

"M'am, I know what you are going to say."

"You do?"

"You are going to lecture me on how untrustable vampires are and how we should avoid them by all means," the maid replied.

"How did you know?" That was precisely what she was going to say. In fact, she had a whole paragraph of points to tell Elizabeth about.

"You've repeated the exact same speech..." Elizabeth took out a notebook from her pocket. "Exactly 634 times."

"Indeed?" Gem was a little surprised. She hadn't realised she was that vocal about her dislike for vampires. "Well, then you should know that I'm right. Not one vampire has a decent ounce of blood in them, if they even have blood within them."

"What about Luke Garon?" Elizabeth questioned.

"What about him?" Gem muttered. She suddenly busied herself by looking outside the window.

"He seems like a nice chap, doesn't he?"

"Are you calling the Dark Lord a nice chap?" Gem answered. "That's like calling the devil an angel."

"He's not a bad chap, I can tell," the maid said. "All my goblin senses tell me so."

"Really? I don't think so," Gem said bitterly."He has killed innocents before. He's no better than my father who amassed a rebel army and sacrificed humans like lambs."