Chapter XXXII

Beginne am Anfang

"Then why did you say that he did? Were you paid?" Hunter asks and is shocked when she laughs, the sound incredulous.

"I was not offered any money. That came afterwards, they wanted to get me away so that I would be safe from him should he ever find out I said anything."

"You were willing to risk his anger with a lie. I wish I could understand why."

She rolls her eyes and releases her hair. She openly studies Hunter. "You already know, do you not?"

"You were involved with him." Hunter states without emotion. "Then he broke it off. You became a liability. Are you telling me that all of this was for petty revenge?"

"He did not break it off with me because I was a liability that could get in the way of his inheritance. No one cares. His father had plenty of women before his father gave him his inheritance. It does not matter as long as he marries the right girl in the end." She tells him, spite lacing her words. "He broke us off for entirely another reason and yes, that was worthy of revenge." Her eyes spark, clearly her feelings on the matter are not yet resolved.

"Who did that woman think I was when I turned up on the doorstep?" Hunter asks quietly, not forgetting the strangely sympathetic behaviour he had been subjected to.

"She thought you were the father." A hollow laugh follows her words. Her gaze flicks him up and down. "Maybe I would have been better off with you."

Hunter rises to his feet and she laughs, thinking he is uncomfortable. "So Gethin is the father." Hunter gives voice to the words hovering in the air.

She stands also and sweeps her hand over her stomach. As she smoothens down the material of her dress her swollen stomach becomes visible. Tears brim up in her eyes and she hurriedly brushes them away. With a lost expression she looks at Hunter who grinds his teeth. "I am sorry. I will come with you if you wish and tell the truth. I do not wish to explain to my child that I caused their father's death."

"I would appreciate that." He says almost silently. Her hand lies against her stomach for a moment longer before she collects herself and nods. "I will wait outside for you." He tells her before leaving to give her space and time to calm her emotions.

Only ten minutes pass before she appears through the doors and looks for him. She walks over to him but is unable to meet his direct gaze. "My hosts are bringing around a steady horse for me to ride. They will be along in a moment."

"Of course. We are in no hurry so you must tell me if you need to stop and rest at any point." Hunter assures her, aware that pregnant women can be a little vulnerable.

Soon a man comes leading a rounded mare who plods happily along. Hunter helps her mount before getting on his own horse. They ride off together in walk. She chews on her cheek, she has a question she wants to ask him but she fears she may offend him greatly if she does so. Her mind is on the future of her child.

"Hunter." He glances over at her. "Stop me if I insult you... I have heard that you are illegitimate." She pauses, waiting for some kind of response alerting her to his thoughts. He remains stoic. "Would you recommend that my child grows up within their father's home or their mother's?"

"I never knew my mother." Hunter struggles for an answer. He does not know which he would have preferred. He grew up hating his father and the woman he was married to. He was the odd one out and no one could hide it. "But I knew she was calculating and did what she thought would get her power. I do not know whether I would have felt like I belonged more if I remained with her but I know my father would not allow it."

Mia's gaze is cast downwards, wishing she had not breeched the sensitive subject.

"The difference is my father wanted me and my mother let me go. You should keep your child; he will not have the same home that I did. The Ricells are not kind. He will feel illegitimate for the rest of his life. Make sure he belongs to you and he knows it."

"Thank you, Hunter." She smiles. "But you never know; it may be a little girl." Hunter laughs quietly and nods in agreement.

○ ○ ○

Many, many hours later they arrive within view of the manor. They had to take it steady so as not to risk harming Mia's unborn child. She lets out a long shaky breath and her palm moves back to her stomach. Hunter takes note of her visibly shaky form and the uneven breaths and grinds his teeth. His annoyance, however, is not directed at her. He has been thoughtless.

"Are you frightened?" He asks softly and she straightens her shoulders and sits tall. She nudges her horse faster so it strides out long and covers more ground. Hunter fights a smile and catches her up. He reaches across and grabs her mare's reins. She narrows her eyes. "I am not taking you to the manor."

"That does not make sense." She mocks him with her tone of voice. "We need to go and tell them that I lied."

"We do not need to do it within their domain. I will take you to the cottage we were given, they can come and hear you out there." Mia physically relaxes and nods, a bright smile placed on her face.

When they get there he helps her dismount, her hands on his shoulders to keep her steady, and his hands on her waist. He only releases her once he is sure she is stable. The door opens and his brother appears. Logan looks between the two of them before striding forward and offering his hand. Mia colours, not used to be treated with such respect, and gingerly places her hand in his. He kisses the back of it before straightening up.

"My name is Logan. You must be Mia."

"Take her inside." Hunter orders and Logan shoots him a look. Hunter continues in a less authoritive tone. "I will go and get the Ricells and bring them back here. They need to hear her tell the true story."

"Of course." Logan offers his arm and leads her inside.

Hunter rolls his shoulders, wincing as his muscles seize up. He marches off to the manor and enters the entrance hall. He listens intently for several minutes before deciding what he is going to do. Gavriel asked him to work for him; he never specified that their connection had to be kept silent. "Gavriel Ricell." He roars at the top of his voice. A satisfied grin rises as he hears feet rushing from the rooms within the house.

"Hunter?" Zara is the first to appear and she is remarkably shocked to see him stood there completely at ease. "What is the meaning of this?" She hurries down the last few steps and stops before him. "Has something happened to Logan?" She asks as it is the only explanation she can come up with. Hunter shakes his head giving her his answer.

Lord Kier is the next to appear with his wife, Lady Aileen. Seeing that it is Hunter stood there he quickly turns to his whisper and orders her to leave. Her jaw tenses but she curtseys and goes back the way she came.

I must admit, I absolutely adore writing about Hunter... So how do we feel about what Mia has now revealed???

Thank you so much for reading, for voting and your comments always make me smile :)