His hand caressed her face, the touch sending conflicting emotions racing through Amy.  She wanted him to stop, wanted to pull away and tell him not to tempt her anymore.  But at the same time she craved his arms, and the protection and comfort and strength she had always found there.

“I’m going to stay as close as you let me and take that risk anyway.  So if you break my heart again, you’ve got no one to blame but me.”

Amy couldn’t look away from him even as her tears fell, pooling and spilling over his hand.  She knew he meant it and that he would do just what he said.  It was up to her to keep up her guard, to maintain her defenses and her decision.  Because if he found any openings or weaknesses, he was going to take them.

Amy reached up to curl her hand around his and gently remove it from her cheek.  “You do that.  I guess I wouldn’t expect anything less from you.”  She paused, letting go of him and reaching up to wipe her face.  “But just remember you’ve been warned.  I tried to prevent you from future pain and disappointment.  It’s you who wouldn’t listen.”

Ty smiled.  “I’ve heard that before.  The part about me not listening.  Maybe I’d actually learn my lesson. . . . if I listened.”

Amy rolled her eyes but smiled too.  Now he sounded like Ryan.

Their conversation was interrupted by Toby, who plopped himself into Ty’s vacant seat.  If he was surprised to see Ty and Amy sitting together, he didn’t show it.

“Okay, here’s what I know.” He announced, waiting for Katie and Lori to pop their heads over their seats again.  “There’s no public transportation but they do have bike rentals, so we could probably make our way around that way for things that are close by.  Bob and Lexi said they’d look into other transportation options.  The hotel we’re staying at is right on the beach and nestled between a large area of private rental houses, so the beach is pretty private as well.  As far as they know, there are no restrictions about fires on the beach but Bob was going to call and double check.  There’s the usual beachy things like parasailing, wave runners, four wheeling, kayaking, yada yada.  There’s a national park we could check out and the Wright Brother’s Memorial, should we feel like educating ourselves.  And of course. . .”

Toby paused, glancing at Katie and Lori.  “There’s a ton of places to shop.”

“Why are you looking at me?” Lori asked.

Toby rolled his eyes.  “Gee, I don’t know.  Anyway, I say we play it low key tonight and then we can ask around while we’re working this week and make plans for the weekend.”

Katie nodded.  “Sounds good to me. The locals will probably have better ideas anyway.”

“I’m all for a little time with the guitar tonight.  Haven’t gotten to play as much as I hoped.” Ty agreed.

“Well, then, that settles it.” Toby declared with a clap of his hands.  “I’m headed back up front. One of the guys has his laptop running and he’s checking out some of the new game releases.”

Amy watched him go and then glanced back at Ty.

“You want me to leave you alone?”

Amy shrugged.  “Not necessarily.  But can we shelve the whole you, me and God discussion?”

Ty smiled.  “Sure.  Got anything else in mind?”

“How about some Words with Friends?  Got your cell phone on you?”

Ty fished in his pocket and pulled out his phone.  “Of course.  You prepared to lose?”

“Nope.  But I am prepared to win.”