chapter one: [ghosts are living here!]

"When I touch her she knows it's me but she can't feel it."

Kat POV

"I don't know why you chose this house, dad. It freaks me out."

"It's not that bad."

"I know someone died here." I flat out said.

"Just give this a chance, Kat." He said as he pulled out pots and pans, sitting them on the vintage tile countertops.

My family tends to move a lot and ever since mom died 3 years ago I've been really jumping from school to school. I hated starting over more than anything and it was something I could never get used to.

"Fine, only cause I love you and I know how expensive this house is." This house was way too big for just the two of us. Six bedrooms, three bathrooms , and a huge dinning room.

"Actually," he smirks. "I got a really nice deal on it because of the two deaths here." He shrugged, pushing his glasses up on the bridge of his nose.

"Like that makes it any better." I say sarcastically, crossing my arms. "And hey, two?!" I gasp in shock.

"Yeah, can you believe it?"

"Now I'm really freaked out."

˛

I finally managed to get all my packed boxes upstairs and I knew that it was going to be hell to unpack everything. First I decided to unpack all my framed pictures that would go on my dresser. I placed three pictures of my dad neatly on my new dresser and then when I reached for another one I pulled out a picture of my mom.

Even though she passed away three years ago it still felt all new to me. Especially for my dad, he took it worse than me. But I always try to seem strong for him, for the both of us. He quit his job of being a therapist and started becoming invested in parapsychology. He believes that mom spirit is still on earth and once he finds it then he can see her again.

But I don't believe in ghosts or anything supernatural but I do believe in my dad so I try to support him.

I hadn't even realized that tears were seeping from my eyes and I was still looking at the picture of my mom in my hand. She was beautiful. And I remembered people saying that I resembled her so much at her wake.

I felt something cold against my left cheek. It was unusual, not like a cold breeze or anything it was much more.... something I couldn't explain. It sent a shiver through my spine. And when I noticed that my cheek was dry from any tears that's when I became a little scared. But then again, it just could all be in my head.

I sat my mothers picture on the corner of my dresser and I turned around to go into the closet, seeing how much space is inside and then turning back around to see someone sitting on top of my dresser.

I let out a low shriek and staggered back.

"It was me who wiped your tears away." The boy said.

He was different.

The British accent he had was thrilling but he was transparent. I was seeing right through him, literally.

I swear I'm going crazy.

I made sure to be careful with my words.
"Who—who are you?"

"I'm Casper." He smiled, crossing his legs. "I live here."

I studied his body, slowly walking over to him. "Am I crazy or can I actually see through you?"

"You're not crazy, love." A low chuckle escaped his lips. "I'm a ghost."

"You're messing with me, aren't you?"

"Unfortunately, no." He sighed, his eyes narrowing to the floor. "I died ten years ago."

Inside I was panicking. I was scared half to death. I don't believe in ghosts or anything supernatural one bit. And there was no way he was lying. I know you can't see through humans and there were two deaths here. It makes sense.

Before I knew it I bolted out of my room and ran downstairs, heading a long way to the kitchen where my dad was.

"Dad!" I yelled. "Dad!"

He'll believe me, I know it. It's what he studies now.

When I walked into the kitchen he pulled his head from under the sink cabinet and stood up. "What is it Kat?" He brushed the dust from his pants. "You look like you've seen a ghost." His face looked worried, and when he reached out to touch me I backed away. "Kathleen," he stern voice said. "You're shaking."

And I was.

I couldn't even control my hands and my breathing became heavy but I managed to get out what I wanted to say. "Ghosts are living here!"