Chapter III

"So.. Your brother's a member of the Avengers." Loki tries talking to you. 

"Yep."

"Mind if I take a guess?"

You wave a hand as if saying 'go ahead'. 

"The monstrous green giant?"

You blink a bit. "He's not a monster.."

"So I was right?"

Your eyebrow twitches a bit. "Sure.."

He nods a bit and chuckles dryly.

"How'd ya know?" 

"Well, the super soldier been asleep for 70 years, so, naturally, any of his immediate relative would be long since dead. The man of iron's too full of himself to be as concerned for a sibling like they said. My brother and the female are obviously excluded. My second guess might've been the archer."

You nod a bit. "You're smart."

He grins. "You're different."

"Different?"

"The others; they try to intimidate me, make a fool of me. You actually talk to me like a person." There's a hint of sadness in his voice, like he'd never received this kind of treatment.

"Well, you are human."

"Not quite."

"Hm?"

"Well, I'm sure you are aware by now that my brother is not from 'around here'."

"Sure. So, you're from the same place as he is?"

"That's only half correct. I am of a different race, of the Frost Giants. I was adopted by the Asgardian king, Odin, making he Thor's adopted brother. Of course, I didn't find this out until years later, when we were grown up and ready to take the throne. But, of course, they chose my brother. Because I was actually a monster. The monster that the parents told their children about at bedtime. I was never going to be allowed to sit on that throne." His voice sounds acidic, full of pain and resentment. And you swear there's tears in his eyes. 

You stand up and walk to the glass where he's at, staring at the ground as if it's its fault for what happened. 

"If it's any comfort to you, I'm adopted too. I never really fit in at school, and my adopted parents still favored their daughter." You shrug a shoulder. "Maybe it's not as dramatic as your story, but I at least know somewhat what you feel like."

Loki looks at you and blinks, a bit confused. "You really are different.."

"Is that a bad thing?" 

"No.. Not at all." 

A small, very faint smile pulls on his lips, and you can't help but smile a bit back. 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

You and Loki spend the rest of your watch time talking. Apparently Loki had tried to rule the Earth, and started with New York City, hence making the Avengers his enemy. But after he'd been defeated, and taken prisoner in Asgard, Thor brought him to Earth to redeem himself. The way you saw it though, Loki wasn't really that bad of a villain. He just wanted to prove himself to Odin, that he was very capable of ruling; that he was as good -if not better- than Thor.

"And so, my brother brought me back here to help me. But they've locked me in here. Not like I can do anything here without my spear." He sighs a bit.