Chapter II

You wake up to a persistent knocking on your front door. You sigh and get up, rubbing the crusty crap from your eyes due to crying yourself to sleep. You pull your robe on and trudge towards the door.

"What is it now?" You ask as your glare slightly at your best friend.

"I just came by to see how you were doing." She replied with an apologetic look.

"I've been better off.. by far."

You step aside and open the door wider so she could come inside. It's been a week since the wedding. Your house had seen better days. In your angry rage, you'd thrown a chair at the wall and made a pretty good dent, and threw the several picture frames of you and your ex at the wall. The café paint on the walls are chipped and desperately need a new painting job.

"I'm sorry it's such a mess.." You say with a hint of shame. "You want a drink?"

"No, I'm fine." She flashes you a small smile before sitting on the black leather couch. You shrug a bit and sit beside her.

"it's not the end of the world, y'know." She says softly and you sigh.

"I know. It's just, hard.."

She leaned over to hug you. "It'll be okay. You're just one heartbreak closer to the real one."

You scoffed a bit. "What if there is no 'real one'? Like, I'm destined to be alone, or something?"

She shook her head. "Don't think like that! There's someone out there for you! There's someone for everyone, remember?" She reassured, quoting the same thing you told her after her bad breakup.

"Sure." You say weakly but manage a small smile anyway.

"Let's go out tonight." She suggests and holds both of your hands in hers.

"What? Tonight? Why?"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't feel like going anywhere.."

"Hm.. Then we can stay here and watch movies in the living room?"

"What movies? I don't have a lot."

"I went to Wal-Mart yesterday. They finally made Hunger Games on DVD. We can go buy that and some popcorn?"

You debate this in your mind for a bit. "You go buy the stuff, and I'll set up the fort."

She grins and gives you another squeeze before leaving to go to Wal-Mart. You get up, and change into comfier clothes. As you set about making a large blanket-and-pillow fort, you hear the phone ringing. You answer it with a quick, "Hello?"

"Is this (f/n) (l/n)?" A monotone, professional voice asked.

"May I ask who's speaking?"

"This is agent Phil Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D."

"Shield?"

"Yes. Is this (f/n/) (l/n)?"

"Yes it is."

"I'd like to ask to meet you tonight, if possible. At the coffe shop, if you don't mind. 6-ish."

"Is this some kind of-"

"We know your brother."

The phone nearly slipped out of your slacked hand. "B-Bruce..?" You say hardly over a whisper.

"Yes."

"How..?"

"I'll explain tonight."

You nod slowly. You feel as though you could cry. Not because you were upset this time. You wanted to cry from happiness.