Chapter 8

Daylight came very quickly for the family it was as you would say a bit of a cliché “the calm after the storm” for it was a very bright sunny morning that woke them.  They were all still very tired after the events of yesterday.  Alec looked around the room noticing his daughters will still asleep but Claire was awake.  Talking very quietly to Claire so as not to wake Alecia and Clara he said “what are we going to do now?” “We have to leave here and although our home has always been a safe haven for us it will not be safe to stay here much longer.  It is, I feel quieter throughout the dimensions but I don’t think it will last long”  Alec didn’t even question how she knew this “so we are to visit Finchale Abbey are we” he questioned.  “Yes we are and it’s time we wake the two sleepy heads and leave.” They gently woke Alecia and Clara and told them that they were to leave as soon as they were ready.

There were the usual protests of it being far too early for them but they could see that their parents were in no mood for a compromise so they got themselves washed and ready. Everything prepared they left their home and looked at their surroundings.  The storm had been a fierce one many trees around their home had been struck by lightning and debris was all around them it was like the aftermath of a tornado everything seemed to be out of place as garden furniture lay strewn around and some power lines were down.  They made their way to their car which was undamaged but they had to clear various items of debris out of the way before they could get into it.  Everything now packed they set off.  Finchale Abbey wasn’t all that far away “so what do we do when we get there” said Alec the answer from Claire was swift and to the point “I’ve absolutely no idea let’s get there first.”  The rest of the journey was spent in silence.

They arrived and started to explore the ruins wandering aimlessly around looking for something but not knowing what they were looking for.  They arrived at the south transept and Clara and Alecia stopped it was St Mary’s Chapel where there was an altar.  “This is the place” said Clara, Alecia nodded her agreement “Godric will come to us.” There was then a silence not even birdsong could be heard it seemed as though everything had stopped the sound of the river nearby could not be heard or the rustling of the leaves in the trees everything was still.  “He is coming” said Clarona.  Within moments a figure of an old man appeared “it has been so many years since we last met and talked and then it was in much more pleasant times” the old man said and the sound of the countryside burst into life. “I wish we had more time to speak but time is pressing and what you seek is no longer here that pathway is closed to you” said Godric.  “We were assured that it would be here kept open by you wise one” said Aleciamora “that is true but circumstances have changed and although Broga and Egesa are separated they sent their evil ones to secure the portal and this I could not allow” said Godric.  “What happened to the evil he sent” asked Clarona “I am a holy man and could not let them near this holy place the Lord my God sent his messengers and they destroyed them and he came to me gave me the power to close the portal.” Godric replied. “We are lost then there is no way back for us”  “All is not lost” said Godric “the portal remains it has been relocated not too far from here” 2but where is it now” queried Claire.  “It is now situated in an ancient place not far from here and it is under the protection of my Lord and all I will say is that it is on holy ground and if you know your history you will find it” was Godrics’s reply.  “Another quiz we can do without” said Alec.  “You of all people have been there Alec in your childhood all I will tell you this place is on the coast and is pre Viking” replied Godric.”  “We thank you for your help wise one and are indebted to you, you are as have been described” said Aleciamora.