iii: baliw

What the hell, I thought frustratedly, as I heaved a pole of bamboo and positioned it over the stack of gallons. We were supposed to make this thing float and I felt more pressured than ever.

I could feel sweat trickling all over my body, and weariness taking over me. We've been at it for hours and I'm running out of energy.

"You all right?" Luis asked, peering up at me as he heaved one more bamboo pole on top of the gallons.

"Yeah," I replied, trying not to show how tired I already was at that point. "Let's just get this over with." I added. I wanted to get the job done as soon as possible.

"Payt! Payt! Payt!" Yong cheered shortly afterwards, in an attemp to lighten the atmosphere, I guess.

"Yeah," I nodded, a huff escaping my mouth. It was getting really tiring. I wanted a break. Maybe if Maymay were here..

Why am I even thinking about her at a time like this?

Focus, Edward. Focus.

I reached out for the pole and pushed it towards the right end of the structure. This is not the time to give up, Edward, I told myself.

Maymay would've told me not to give up. Maymay, would've made a joke and made funny faces and smiled at me and gave me an encouraging hug. Maymay would've...

Damn it, Edward. You're at it again.

I was intent on keeping her off my mind until a tune started to become audible in the activity area. I felt my heart skip a beat. I recognized what the song was.

"Nang makita kita, napangiti mo na ako.."

"KUYA!" I exclaimed, disbelievingly. I couldn't quite pinpoint what I was feeling at the moment. I felt extremely embarassed and strangely exhilaratedly happy and what was that again? Kilig... Damn it, kinikilig ako.

"Uyyy, Edward!" Yong exclaimed teasingly, throwing me mischievous looks and grins. The rest of the boys joined in on the teasing and the singing. I couldn't shut them up.

I tried so hard to keep cool but my face was betraying me. I was already smiling really widely without me even realizing it. Damn it, Edward, keep a straight face!

"At nang lumapit ka, sinabi mo na gusto mo rin ako,
At ngayon, gusto kong sabihin sayo
Ang nararamdaman kong ito,
Na ikaw
Ang nilalaman ng aking puso..."

There was no escaping it. Even the boys were singing at the top of their lungs. I let myself laugh and smile. I couldn't help it. My heart was still thumping but it no longer mattered to me.

Hearing the song meant hearing Maymay's voice and it was enough to make me happy. I was happy and I let that happiness take over.

"Baliw na baliw ako sayo,
Aking sinta, oh Maymay, aking prinsesa
Gusto na gusto kita."

Geez, Maymay. My smile faltered. I miss you already.

The song died down eventually. Shortly after, we were back to business.

I was still reeling from that song when..

"Nang makita kita, napangiti mo na ako."

My eyes perked up when the acoustic version started. This time, though, I wasn't as surprised. I started to sing along the song with Yong and the others while working on the float when Yong suddenly cried: "Edward, si Ate May!" I turned to look at him pointing at the screen.

There, on the screen, was Maymay.

My heart did a somersault the moment my eyes landed on Maymay.

And this time, it didn't matter to me that I was smiling like crazy.

Because it did feel crazy. It was crazy how just seeing her on the screen sent a rush of inexplicable joy through me.

She waved at me and I waved back, hardly remembering to wave at the other girls on the screen.

It felt like ages since I last saw her.

"Baliw na baliw ako sayo, aking sinta, oh Maymay, aking prinsesa."

My heart was wildly pounding against my rib cage and for a moment, I couldn't see anyone else but her.

Baliw na baliw ako sayo, I realized as I stared at her on the screen, taking in the way she laughed and waved at me and the way she smiled. I wanted to remember the way she smiled.

Damn it, I thought to myself.

"Mahal na mahal kita."

I've fallen for you, Maymay. And I've fallen deep.