Chapter 3

Connie walked into the ED, her icy exterior up since the second her foot hit the ground. Just the way she liked it.
A series of 'morning Ms Chase' filled the air, but Connie didn't respond until she reached the nurse stood at reception, "morning Charlie" she said, a small smile gracing her lips.
"Morning, I've got three candidates for the senior staff nurse position to be interviewed by you today, final decision is yours" he replied, handing her three files, with information of each candidate.
"Thank you, I'll be in my office, send the first in when you're ready" Connie said before walking away.

She sat at her desk, logging on to her computer and smiling as a photo of her mother graced the screen.
Connie was aware that it was the anniversary of her death in three weeks time, well three weeks and two days to be precise, and although she didn't want to, she knew that she would shut everyone and everything out, being even colder towards staff than usual. It happened every year. She just counted herself lucky that no one had ever caught on to the yearly occurrence, and that only Charlie knew the reason behind her overly foul mood.

Connie opened up the files, reading about each individual candidate, all experienced and hard working.
Derek Shepherd
Jennifer Hotchner
Jacob Masters
She sighed as she read the third name. This happened everytime she saw or heard those initials. JM.
Wanting, hoping, praying that it was him, but it never was.
Twenty years on, the boy and his name were still a mystery to Connie, one that she was convinced that she was to never solve.

"Everything okay?" Charlie asked as he opened the door to her office.
Connie nodded weakly, letting out a small sigh before she spoke, "it's the initials again, the ones on the hankerchief" she told him as she handed the file back to him.
Charlie smiled sympathetically, "I know it's hard for you around this time of year, so I'm here if you need anything. But just remember, it's only his initials, don't let his name change your judgement of him as a nurse" he said gently.
"Thank you, and I won't" Connie replied.

After composing herself, she left her office to find the three applicants sat outside.
"Mr Shepherd, Masters and Miss Hotchner?"
"Yes that's us" one man replied.
"Yes" Jennifer with a polite smile.
"The one and only" the man on the end replied with a grin.
"And I'm inclined not to employ you already, Mr..." Connie said.
"Masters, Jacob Masters" he replied confidently, leaning back in the chair and flexing his biceps.
Connie bit her lip, he was obviously very well built and for just a second she wondered what was underneath his tight white shirt. Of course he had to be attractive. That was all she needed.
Stop it Constance. Be professional. He's arrogant anyway.
"Right, Mr Shephard if you can follow me please" Connie said before turning and walking back into her office.

Jacob's eyes followed her as she left, she'd obviously had quite an affect on him.
"really? You're after the boss?" Jennifer asked him, following his gaze.
"No, no, I just thought I knew her. Can't work out where from though, she just looks familiar" Jacob replied.

Connie sat down at her desk, opening Derek's file as he sat down in front of her.
"You have experience, show commitment. Now why Holby?" Connie asked.
"Fancied a change, that's all" he replied.
Connie raised an eyebrow, but never the less wrote down his answer.

"Mr Masters, come in" Connie ordered after finishing her interview with Jennifer.
Jacob stood up, smoothing down his suit trousers, smiling cheerfully then following Connie into her office.
"So, what pushed you to become a nurse Mr Masters?" Connie asked him.
Jacob looked up at her, but this time there was something different.
She noticed that the arrogance and confidence all seemed to disappear as he spoke, "I'm sorry, I don't want to answer that" he said quietly.
Connie was filled with an overwhelming sense of sympathy for him, and merely nodded before moving on to the next question.
"Is there a particular reason you chose Holby?" She asked.
"I grew up here, I've previously worked at St James but I know this ED is renowned for everything it does" Jacob replied.
"You grew up here? Would you mind me asking how old you are?" Connie enquired, her entire body feeling as though it may explode at the thought of this man being the young boy that she had once met in the alleyway.
Shit. Shit. Shit.
She must have sounded so ridiculous, asking him his age when it was written in front of her.
"Actually don't answer that. Mr Masters you seem like a great candidate so I will get back to you sometime tomorrow with an answer. Thank you for your time" Connie said as she stood from her seat.
Jacob did the same but looked at her in confusion, "you barely asked me any questions" he stated.
"That's okay, I've heard all I need to" she said hurriedly.
"Guess I'll here from you tomorrow" he smiled, holding a hand out for her to shake.

As their skin touched, Jacob's head shot up, a feeling of electricity so strange yet so familiar.
He studied her face, still unable to place her, trying desperately but to no avail.
Long brown wavy hair, perfect cheekbones, pretty pink lips. A labrinth, that at the same time he knew so well.
A final smile was shared, before Jacob retreated out of Connie's office.
She sat down in her seat with a sigh, stop it Constance, just face it, you're never going to find him.