9th Night

Fai was wide awake when Zero and I entered the infirmary. She was still wearing her zombie costume. And there was a bandage on her neck. “Hey, Kuro!” she said. “Oh, and Kiryuu-kun. Hi!”

“Hey,” I said, sitting on the bed beside Fai's feet. Zero sat on another bed that was unoccupied in the room. “How are you feeling?” I asked.

Fai shrugs her shoulders. “Can’t complain. I’m tired of being in this bed. I wanna go!”

I laugh. At least she was bad to normal. I thought. “Do you remember again?” I ask. Fai looks at me with a confused expression. “From the party?”

“Um…” Fai mumbles. “Nope! Nothing.”

Zero and I exchanged a look. “Nothing?” we both ask.

Fai shook her head. “Wait,” she said with a shocked expression. “Did I get drunk or something?!” I shrug my shoulders. “Oh my god. My parents are going to flip! I am so grounded!” Fai smacks her face with her hands.

“By the way Fai,” Fai moves part her fingers when she had her fingers to her face. “The reason you have that bandage on your neck is because…” Fai touches her neck to feel the bandage. Her eyes went bug eyed. I glance at Zero. He nods. I took a breath. “You kinda picked a fight with some girl. She scratched you pretty hard.”

“What?!” Fai screamed. “Did I kick her ass?”

“Oh, yeah. And some guy gave you his number too.” I lied. This was so bad but it was for a good cause.

Fai groaned. “How can I not remember this?!” she screamed. “Please tell me he was hot!”

I look away. “Okay, I won’t tell you.”

“He was ugly?!”

“Don’t worry. You kicked him to the curb.” Fai screamed franticly. “Should I tell the nurse that you’re feeling better?”

Fai shook her head. “I think I’m coming down with something.” Fai lay back on the bed and tosses the cover over her. “Leave me here to die. I might see you in class tomorrow.” I wanted to ask if she was sure of this, but I knew the answer to that.

I signaled Zero and headed out first. Zero came behind me. When he closed the door, he asked me. “Anything else you need to do?”

“There is one thing. Yes.” I look at Zero. “Why?”

Zero looks away. “No reason.” He shrugs. “What do you have to do now?”

I look out the window. The sun was going down, entering a beautiful sunset. I took a breath. “I have to talk to the Headmaster about something. About…my mom.”

“Your mom?”

I nod. “I heard him and Orito-san talking last night about her. Both of them were close to her when she was alive. I…I never knew her. She died when I was younger.” I turn to Zero. “I know what you’re thinking. I think I want to go alone. This is…personal.”

Zero stares at me. Then he nods and says, “Alright,” He puts his hands in his pockets. “I’ll see you in class tomorrow.” Zero turns and walks away.

“Okay,” I call. “Goodnight.”

“Night.” I turn in the opposite direction and headed for the Headmaster’s office.

I knock on the Headmaster’s office door. “Come in,” I open the door. The Headmaster was kneeling down bending over something. It smelled like fish in here. Baked fish. That was weird. The Headmaster turns to see me. “Hi, Kuroki-chan,” I hated when his voice turns high and childlike. Creepy. I thought. The Headmaster picked up a fish and waved it in front of his face. “Would you like one? It’s delicious.”