8th Night

My eyes open to see Taisho sitting in front of me. His gaze wasn’t on me. He was staring at something else. My eyes follow his gaze, without moving my head. I saw Orito in the doorway. The door was broken in two. It was like a chainsaw destroyed the door. Orito was breathing heavily as he glared his eyes at Taisho. “You did this, didn’t you?” he asked. Taisho said nothing. He only grinned, showing his blood tainted fangs. Orito clenched his fists. Blood trickled down and drips to the carpet leaving a blood stain.

“You’re a vampire too,” Taisho began. “You must be hungry. Why don’t we finish these girls together?”

“I know these girls.” Orito said. “The one you are closest to is very precious to me. The girl over there happens to be my assistant.” My eyes slowly begin to widen. Precious to me? I saw Orito’s eyes turn red with fiery. “I would never commit the most forbidden act of a vampire. Like you have just done.”

Taisho smirked. “Why do you sound as though I know them too?”

“I’ve been watching from a distance.” My eyes widen. “I spotted the girls go to you. They stayed with you for a long time. So I figured you were the friend I’ve heard about from Fai-chan. I thought they were safe with you.” Orito lowers his head and sighs. “I guess I was wrong.”

“I’m actually a former friend of Fai’s older brother, Len. But I stopped being his friend when he didn’t do my little favor.” Taisho said. “So this is my version of payback.”

Payback? I wondered. “What are you talking about?” Orito asked.

“None of your business.” Taisho turns his head to me. I pretended to still be knocked out. “I got what I wanted.”

I stared at Taisho’s chest. I saw bright blue lines and dark red bubbles all over chest and lower body. Those lines and bubbles seemed familiar to me. It was as though I’ve seen them before. I was completely drawn to them. Where and when have I seen those before? I can’t remember. I want to, but I can’t.

Taisho was saying something. But I couldn’t hear him. His fingertips grab my chin and lift my head up to see him. Taisho’s face was closer to mine. He presses his lips on my own. My eyes went wide. I could hear Orito gasp, or was that a holler. I couldn’t tell. I closed my eyes and shivered. His breath tasted like…like blood. His teeth, mouth, and tongue still had blood on them. My eyes open slightly. This taste was good. The taste of blood.

Taisho withdrew his lips. I stare at him with my half opened eyes. I wanted to taste the blood again. I wanted that taste so bad. My fingers twitched and grabbed Taisho, pinning him to the floor. My mouth presses against his neck and I bit down hard. A muffled voice sounded near my ear. I ignore it and continue to intake the blood.

A pair of hands grabs me by the shoulders and pulls me off Taisho. I scream and claw at whoever was picking me up. “Kuroki!” I stop and look to see Orito behind me. His arms were wrapped around my waist.

“Orito-san…” I gasp. I turn to look at him. His cheeks had claw marks on them, my claw marks. “Oh my god,” I gasp again. “Orito-san.” Taisho’s body lies still on the floor, it was as though he was dead; like really dead not vampire dead. I soon began to cry.

“Kuroki, calm down. It’s alright.” Orito tries to comfort me. I try to stop my overflowing tears, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t stop crying. “Calm down. You’re alright.” Sirens boomed outside. Orito let go of me. I fell to my knees and held myself. I shivered all over. Oh my god. I thought. What was I just…what was I doing? Orito went to the window. “The cops are coming,” he said. “Try to get Fai to my car.” I raise my head to look at him. “Better yet, I’ll do it. You get to my car as fast as you can.”