three

this is kind of a filler chapter, but you do get to meet Brice

also: i am doing this story for nanowrimo! so lets become buddies on there. my user is DanaMay

enjoy

___________

"He's so cute!" I exclaim, dropping my overnight bag on the floor by the door as I drop to my knees. A little white and brown fluff ball comes trotting over to us. Bruno smells Jase's shoes as Jase pets his head before his nose travels to me. Little paws crawl on my thighs, trying to get close to sniff my face. I scoop Bruno up and hold him close to my chest. His tongue licks under my chin, and then moving to my lips. "Okay there buddy."

"Look at that," I hear Brice say. Looking up, I see him lounging on the black couch in the living room, watching some fighting event. "Bruno is getting more action than you Jase."

Jase gives his brother a glare while I laugh, holding Bruno close so his fur muffles some of my loud laughter. I kiss the puppy on the neck before setting it down on the floor to see it walk to Jase. He lifts Bruno up and hugs him to his chest as Jase walks to the kitchen. Standing up, I meet Brice, who has his arms held open for a hug, and go into the hug.

"I'm happy you're finally back where you belong," he mumbles, breath tickling her ear. "I missed you sister." Since the moment my relationship got serious with Jase years ago, Brice has called me sister because he claims he knows I will be a part of their family eventually. The first time he referred to me as his sister was after their mother caught wind of Jase mentioning buying his own place and having me move in with him. Their mother is a sweet woman who just didn't want to let go of her son so soon after Brice moved out two years before. Jase's mother blamed me for his sudden decision about wanting a place for himself, and Brice and Jase stuck by me.

"I missed you too Brice."

He leans away a little, taking in my face. "I hope everything has been well with you." Brice lowers his voice to ask, "And how is everything with Jase?"

I nod, "Everything is okay."

"My brother treating you right?"

I laugh softly. "Of course, he always does." Pitter patter of paws catches both our attention. Bruno jogs over to us, sniffing our feet. I take a seat on the couch, petting his small head. "He's adorable. I love him already," I profess as I pull him up into my lap. He immediately goes to lick under my chin.

"That boy loves the women," Brice mentions.

"Maybe he just likes me more?" I add, seeing Brice gasp.

"This little guy and I have bonded these past two days. He just met you. So don't get your hopes up."

Jase walks in with a bag of chips in his hand. "Dani is going to be around more than you though so that can change."

Brice's mouth opens in shock, and I can't help but blush. I don't look at Jase, knowing the look on my face will reveal my excitement over the fact that our relationship will be okay after all. Part of me always knew, but the part still hesitant knows we still have stuff to work on before we can get back to normal.

"Over your own brother, I see how it is." Brice pulls on his hoodie that was resting against the armrest before going over to the front door to pull on his shoes. "I have places to be anyway. A woman to see."

"A woman?" I ask, taking my attention off Bruno to look at Brice. The last woman Brice dated seriously was in high school. A townie who was quick to move out as soon as she graduated. Brice doesn't like to admit it, but she messed him up for months after—maybe even still.