6th Night

I awoke in a room. It took me a while to realize it was my room in the Headmaster’s house. My head was tender but not painful. And so was my shoulder. Why does my shoulder hurt? I asked myself. I leaned up and turned on a lamp that was on the end table beside my bed. I looked around too. I hardly come in here, only for long holidays or when school is not. How did I get here? I asked myself again. Things were starting to freak me out.

I flung my legs over my bed and began to head out the door. As I opened my door, I heard voices. The voices were in silent whispers. “What are we to do with Kuroki?” Asked a voice. It almost sounded like Kuran’s.

“I don’t know, Kaname-kun.” So that was Kuran. And this voice was the Headmaster’s. “Kuroki-chan is confused right now. I think it is best for her to resume her normal life—”

“That is the precise thing you have said at the time she bit Kiryuu-kun. And now that she bit Yuuki you want her to be normal?” I didn’t go any further. I wanted to hear what they were saying.

“I agree with the head of Kuran.” This was a new voice. A voice I haven’t heard in a long while. I couldn’t believe my ears. It was my dad. “I know exactly what is happening to my daughter. I’ve asked Orito to come here to observe her status.” Orito-san? Observe my status? “He said that there was nothing to report, but I knew he was false.” He sounds as though he hurt Orito-san. If he did anything to Orito-san…

Kuran was speaking now. “So you agree with me that Kuroki should be transferred to the Night Class?” My eyes widen. What? I thought. When I told Zero that I was going to do that, I was saying that out of fear. I wasn’t serious!

Dad was silent. “Yes,” he said after a moment. “But not quite yet. I would like to take her home and perform an experiment.”

A loud slam echoed. It was like they were in the dining room. I quietly tip-toed that way. The Headmaster spoke. “Kuroki-chan is not a test subject!” he argued. “She isn’t Ameri-san!” I stopped. Not because I was at the entrance of the dining room, but because the Headmaster said my mother’s name. I crouched down and listened some more.

My dad had his greying hair hanging over his shoulders. His vampire red eyes were fixed on the Headmaster. Dad smirked and his eyes were the pale shade of, I don’t know what color. Maybe hazel and some sort of light brown. “Didn’t Orito mention to you about the ritual I am planning while he was here?”

My eyebrows lower. That again? The Headmaster said nothing. He was in his own version of vampire anger, expect he isn’t a vampire. His glasses were off and he was staring at Dad with angry eyes. It almost looked like the Headmaster and Dad were going to have a fight or something. I noticed that Kuran was silent as well. I looked at him and flinched. He knew I was here listening. He just smiled and put his finger over his lips. Was he going to keep me a secret? I wondered, staring at him.

Kuran looked away from me and went back to the two older men. “How do you know if Kuroki even wants to do this ritual?” He asked. Dad and the Headmaster glance at him. “What is the purpose of this ritual?” In my head, I thanked Kuran. Even though Orito told me what the ritual would do, I wanted to hear from my dad’s lips.

Dad’s smirk grew wider. “Well, Head of Kuran,” said dad. “My daughter is a half-blood.” Really? I thought. Why don’t you just tell the whole neighborhood?! “When she was a few months, I concealed her vampire instincts. If you say that she has bitten a friend of hers, then her vampire instincts must be forcing itself out.” I look down and touch my chest. Someone must have switched me into different clothes. I hoped it would have been Yuuki instead of a guy. I’d be more creped out if my dad ended up doing it. I was wearing a jet black jersey with grey number 18 on the front and possibly on the back, a white t-shirt underneath, and short pants.