Chapter 3

Sophie's POV

"I solved a problem. You were leaving, what did you expect me to do?"

My fist clench at my sides, my mouth dropping into a frown. "You don't realize the danger you put him in...put Bella in. The Volturi will kill anyone who knows about us. Not to mention they'll be even more persistant about Bella becoming a vampire," I rant all in one breath, Edward silently standing next to me. "No, I didn't tell him about you. Just me. I only said you were different," My hands slowly unclench themelves. "And that we have two nieces whom we adopted," Edward finally adds, his hands stuffed into the fronts of his pockets.

"I mean, seriously, Jake, he's not just gonna let that go,"

"Did you consider the physical pain he'll put Sophie through? It'll be like sticking a white hot branding iron down her throat. And that's assuming she can control her thirst,"

"Look," Jake quietly sighs, "Charlie's been in hell, and I know you'll be much happier with him in your life," I hate to admit it, but Jake is right. I didn't want my dad to have to go through the pain of thinking he lost a daughter. If I could just control my thirst when I'm around him, I don't see why I can't still see him and Bella. I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Edward responding to Jacob. "Jacob, don't try and pretend you're doing this for anyone but yourself," Jake nods his head slowly. "Well I'm sorry you feel that way..." He pauses while sucking in a breath, "because he'll be here in 10 minutes,"

"What?!"

******

"These will irritate your eyes at first," Alice says as she puts in the last blue contact in my eye. They burn for a few seconds before it slowly fades. "The main thing is not to move too fast," Carlisle tells me as I situate myself in the chair they had me sit in. "Try taking a seat. Crossing your legs," I listen to Esme, standing up from the chair I was currently in and trying to move normally to the chair in the corner. It didn't work. The chair goes sliding against the hardwood floor and into the wall but not too hard so it cracks the wall. Carlisle, Esme and Alice stand there looking at me worriedly while Jacob lays back again the couch, Edward leading forward on the back of the couch and Rose standing in the middle of the room. Great, I can't even pretend to be a human even though I was human my whole life. I look at them with a stoic face and cross my legs. "Maybe a tad slower, hmm," Esme tells me, Carlisle raising his thumb and index finger indicating just a little bit.

"And blink at least three times a minute,"

I blink a couple of times, my long lashes fluttering quickly. "Good," Alice praises. Why does this have to be so difficult?! "For a cartoon character," Jacob makes another one of his snide comments. "Hold your breath. It will help with the thirst," I stop breathing...well I already stopped breathing, but you get what I'm saying. "Just don't forget to move your shoulders so it looks like you're breathing," I narrow my eyes at Edward but move my shoulders anyway.

"And don't sit so straight, humans don't do that," I try slouching just a bit, but it feels weird which makes me fidgit in my seat. "Okay, I got it," I stand up while shaking my hands out. "Move around, blink, slouch," Edward cracks a smile, letting out a small laugh just as I hear tires on gravel. I could hear every move my dad made--from the dangling of his keys to his feet moving over the gravel. Everyone starts to pile out. "Good luck," Esme smiles which calms my nerves just a bit. "Hello Charlie," I hear Carlisle say after opening the door. I could smeel my dads familiar scent. "Where's Sophie?" My lips purse. If I could cry then I would probably be a sobbing mess my now. I've missed my dad so much. Jake gets up and moves to stand near the stair case, Edward having me move to sit on the couch next to him. "You're going to do just fine. Be yourself...but the slightly more human-self," He tells me quietly which earns a look. "What human-self?" I whisper harshly making him smirk. Soon my dad walks in, Carlisle and Jacob standing behind him. Edward rubs my knee gently before getting up and standing to the side of the couch. "Sophie.."