Chapter 4: Summer's End

Start from the beginning

"And being the head of a club isn't good enough?" I ask her.

"Penelope Grace!" My father calls.

My mother motions me to leave and I do so without a word. Sometimes parents are so confusing.

"Yes Papa?" I ask peaking into his office.

"I need to head into town, we're getting Samuel a car, you know him better than anyone, would you help me?"

"Okay." I agree, "Let me get my shoes."

I hear barking. "Jones, shush." Mother scolds, she never was a fan of dogs or animals for that matter.

"Jones, here boy." I call him as I slip into my favorite flats. He bounds over to me. "Hey Buddy." I greet him kneeling down to ruffle his fur.

"Come along Penelope Grace." My father say, "We can walk Jones on the way." I follow him out and Jones bounds happily along side us. "I'll assume that you talked with your mother about your extracurriculars."

"Yes Papa."

"She was none too pleased I'll venture."

"Why is she so against it?" I ask him as we turn into the main road. He gives a shrug.

"Your mother is a very structured woman. She has to have everything black and white. You and I are not black and white so she tries to make us so." He explains. "Here we are." Ehlert Motors sits in front of us. Three men are inside. All three rush out to greet us.

"I'm Pete, can we find a car for you?" He asks, he looks so fake. The other two back away, I look to my father before going to the smallest guy. Jones happily greets him.

"Hi, I'm Bob." He says holding out his hand.

"Penelope, and this is Jones." I greet shaking his hand. "Can you show me a few off road Jeeps?" Bob's face lights up he gives a nod and we walk around the lot.

"Who's the car for?" Bob asks showing me a few Jeeps before he shows me a beige Jeep, no convertible top. Sam would love it.

"My older brother Sam." I tell him. "This one's perfect." I tell him putting my hand on the exterior to look in. "Papa!" I call across the lot. He and Pete come to join us. "Bob found the perfect car."

"How much..."

"Bob, Bob Weaver." Bob says holding out his hand.

My father and Bob go inside to discuss prices. I look around at the other cars. A nice red 80s smaller Cadillac catches my eye.

"This is a gem, a rarity around here." Pete says.

"I can't drive yet," I tell him. "My two other brothers and I won't start driving until we're seniors. But I love this car. It reminds me of the car from Touched by an Angel."

Pete hadn't stayed past I can't drive, but I kept saying what I had been anyway. I run my hand along the red paint of the car.

"Come along Penelope Grace." Father says Bob stands beaming proudly inside. As soon as he thinks no ones looking he does a jig. I suppress a giggle and follow my father to the car and we both get inside putting Jones in the back.

He drives the car into the garage and puts a cover over it. I head inside with Jones. As soon as I unclip him he jumps up and his paws reach my upper leg. I ruffle his fur and he scampers off.

Lately, I've been, I've been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I've been, I've been praying hard,
Said, no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars, yeah we'll be counting stars

I see this life like a swinging vine
Swing my heart across the line
And my face is flashing signs
Seek it out and you shall find
Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told
I feel something so right
Doing the wrong thing
I feel something so wrong
Doing the right thing
I could lie, couldn't I, could lie
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive!

Lately, I've been, I've been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I've been, I've been praying hard,
Said, no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars

Lately, I've been, I've been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I've been, I've been praying hard,
Said, no more counting dollars
We'll be, we'll be counting stars

I feel the love and I feel it burn
Down this river, every turn
Hope is a four-letter word
Make that money, watch it burn
Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told
I feel something so wrong
Doing the right thing
I could lie, could lie, could lie
Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly

Lately, I've been, I've been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I've been, I've been praying hard,
Said, no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars

I hear Will practicing in his room his guitar strumming along with his voice as I make my way to my room. He's starting a channel. And hoping for a label to pick him up. I hope one does too. He deserves that much, he's so good at his music, he's passionate, and he loves it so much.

"Penelope Grace." My father calls to me just as I turned the knob to my room. I turn and make my way back.

"Yes Papa?" I ask when I meet him.

"Will you go find your brother?"

"Yes Sir." I tell him. "Jones, come." Jones trots into the room leash in his mouth. I ruffle the fur on his head and we're both on our way to find Sam. "Where's Sam?" I ask Jones. He begins pulling his leash toward the Heck house.

"Great set up." I hear Sean say.

"Yeah!" An unfamiliar voice cheers.

"Nothing but net!" Sam says proudly.

"We could do it too."

"No way Axe Man." Sean says. "Hey Penelope." He greets me with a friendly smile.

"Hi Sam, hey Sean." I greet them both, "Sam, papa's looking for you."

"Gotta go, see you guys latter." He says. Axl passes the ball back to Sam who dribbles it the whole way home showing off on the way. "You know why dad's looking for me?"

"Sorry Sammy." I answer with a shrug even though I do know.

"No way." He says as we stand in the driveway. Andy's truck blocked it from the street, but now it's in full view. "You got me a car!" He asks filled with excitement.

"Penelope Grace picked it out herself." Dad says.

"You little rascal." He says turning on me picking me up. Spinning around in circles, Jones racing around with us.

"It was meant to be a surprise." I tell him grinning. When he's happy, I'm happy. When one of my family members is sad or happy, so am I. My father thinks it's because I'm part empath.

"I'm going to take it for a drive." He says. "You guys want to come?" He asks our brothers. "And of course you're coming Penny. No question.

"Why not, I'll start driving to campus after dinner." Andy says making me beam that he's staying just a few more hours. Will, Michael, and I hop in the back, Will in between Michael and I because I have to be next to the window or I get motion-sick. Andy and Sam both climb in the front seat fist-bumping. "Welcome to the Exclusive Lancaster Driving Club Samuel."

"How is it that you knew exactly what car I wanted?" Sam asks me.

"The same way she did with me." Andy answers for me, "She knows us. Too well sometimes."

"So when we get to Senior year, who's going to pick out your car Nel?" Will asks knowing full well that is one nickname I cannot stand.