Chapter 1

- In which someone will die -

When you die in our world you always will die alone.
That's just how this world works.

But the story  I'm going to tell you doesn't take place in our world.

This story takes place in a different world which is very similar to ours.
There are humans in this world. There are animals. The people there drive in cars and then curse a lot while doing this (at least some). There are schools and they have Internet. The people complain a lot about meaningless and meaningful things. They watch tv and have jobs. They go to the movies with friends and argue with their classmates, parents, girlfriends or boyfriends.
I think you could say that this story takes place in a parallel universe.
Cause' there is just one thing (apart from little differences that may matter to you but aren't really that important) that's different from this world: death.

Of course the humans in that world die. But death is a person in this world, in fact it's  a lot of persons. Every single human being has their own "death ".

It will appear  a few months, weeks or days before you die. And the closer it gets to you the sooner you will die. If it touches you or touch it you will die in that very moment.

But there is a catch. If you kill your death before it touches you ,you will become immortal. But be careful. Once you are immortal there is no going back.
You will live forever even if you have the desire to die.

The most people that are immortal became cold and distant after some time. They kinda stop being human. They started to ignore there surroundings and are not really present anymore.

Living for so long can be terrible. In a lot chases even worse than hell.

But there are not many persons who are immortal.

And not so many people have ever seen an immortal human.

And till' this day our main character, Dan Howell, hadn't seen one either.

On that one day he was in town to buy a few things. His hand were buried in the pockets of his black coat and his breath looked like steam because of the cold temperatures.

Dan cursed himself for not picking out a warmer outfit or at least taking a scarf or some gloves with him. Now his hands felt like they were freezing even though they were in his pockets and his pale cheeks were red.

He walked through the crowded streets when he suddenly heard screaming from somewhere.

"No! Don't Do it!"
"You don't really want this!"

What was happening there? Dan started to walk towards the screaming. He knew that he maybe shouldn't have done that but he was to curios to walk on like he heard nothing.

He started to walk towards the screaming.

Many people stood there in front of a really tall building.
The people looked to the top of the building and screamed.

At first Dan didn't understand who or what the people were screaming at. Then he noticed that a boy stood at the roof of the building.
Did he want to jump?! Dan stared at the boy who now walked to the edge of the roof. One more step and he would fall.