Chapter five

"Enoch

"Enoch... This is amazing!" she exclaimed in astonishment, causing the fear in his eyes disappear, he smiled at her. She seemed generally amazed by the clay figure he had animated and brought to life.

"You really think so?" He asked as the clay figure wandered towards her, she nodded.

"I do." She grinned at him happily, allowing the clay figure to grab her hand. He laughed.

"Thanks." He smiled at her, she liked it when he smiled, as she knew he didn't smile too often.

"So, that is your peculiarity?" She asked him, he nodded.

"That's it." He said with a nod. She grinned.

"It's brilliant." She told him, before getting up and opening the door.

"Now, we have a tunnel to explore." She announced, skipping down the stairs, he smiled at her and followed her to her room, where she locked the door, and opened the trapdoor.

"Are you ready Enoch?" she asked him, he nodded. She climbed down the small ladder and waited for him at the bottom, using the light from the door to help her see where she was. Enoch closed the door behind him, and Jeanette created a small ball of light again. He seemed surprised by the feat, but did not comment on it, instead he accompanied her down the corridor and was confused by how cautious she seemed.

"What do you think is down here?" He asked her, she shrugged.

"I don't know, but there must be something." She said, he frowned.

"Well, whatever it is, we can fight it, right?" he asked her, she looked at him, eyes wide.

"I do hope so Enoch, I really do." She answered. The tunnel appeared to get narrower, and narrower, as though it didn't want them there, until they ended up in a small room. The room was dark and smelled like damp, with one small window that looked out into the murky waters. Papers were on the desk, but not just any papers, Jeanette had seen them before, she just wasn't quite sure where. She picked it up and began reading, her eyes widening as she did so.

"Jenny, what are you doing?" Enoch asked, she looked back at him and beckoned for him to join her, he hesitated a moment, before doing so, she showed him the papers, he frowned heavily as he read it.

"Do you think it's true? She can't really still be alive, and Miss Eagle couldn't have done that, could she?" she asked him, fear in her eyes, he just stared at it. "Enoch?"

He looked at her, placing the papers back down. "We can't tell anyone." He said.

"Enoch. We can't just tell no one! What if it happens again, I mean it explains why Cameron was down here, but what if she does it to us! I can't see her again, I can't go back, I can't!" she began to panic, although she knew she was right, she didn't want to believe it was really happening. Enoch grabbed the girl by the shoulders and shook his head at her.

"Jenny, calm down, if she finds out we know, that's when she might do something, okay?" he told her, she let out a deep breath and nodded.

"Alright, that's what we'll do." She nodded, he smiled at her and looked towards the door.

"We should go." He said, she nodded her agreement. "Jenny what happened to you?" He added.

"I'll tell you, but not here." She said, he nodded and took her hand, earning a small smile from her, together they made their way back to the trapdoor, only freezing when they heard someone talking.

"They got down here, I don't know how, but they freed him, and they know, I know they know. If we don't do something, this all could be over." It was Miss Eagle, but who was she talking to? And why? Jeanette and Enoch exchanged a look, fear in both of their eyes. Enoch didn't seem as surprised as Jeanette, he had always suspected that there wasn't something quite right with Miss Eagle.

"I'll sort it, don't worry, they won't be saying anything." It was a voice that Jeanette had heard before, it still chilled her to the bones, bringing back the memories of the tortures and the many other things she had faced. "They won't escape me again."

Seeing the fear on her face, Enoch pulled her down the corridor, towards the trapdoor, and it was only when they were safely in her room that he let go of her hand. That was when the tears started to fall.

"Jenny?" He asked her, his usually hard exterior was gone, showing a boy generally concerned for the crying girl. Gently and awkwardly, he wrapped his arms around her shoulders, giving her a comforting hug, she hugged him back, her face buried in his shoulder. "It's okay, she won't hurt you." He said. She nodded.

"I have a story to tell you." She said in between sobs.

"you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He said, she shook her head.

"You need to know, after what you know already, it might help you." She answered, he nodded and sat down beside her when she went to sit on her bed.

^^^

"Ethan, we have a problem." Jeanette and Enoch said in sync, once he had opened his door to find them stood there, he ushered them in and questioned them as to why they were there. He looked at the two in confusion, and his facial expressions changed from worry to anger to worry then to anger again.

"You told him! And you went down there again!" Ethan yelled at Jeanette, she nodded in a rather unconcerned way.

"Yes, but that doesn't matter, Ethan she's back and she wants her revenge on us, and we're in trouble, we're in a lot of trouble!" She shrieked back at him, Cameron entered the room and frowned at them, but when he learned of what was going on, his face fell.

"What do we do? Enoch, I'm sorry, I feel like we're dragging you into this." Cameron apologised, realising that the other peculiar was there too. Enoch quickly shook his head.

"No, no you're fine, I convinced Jenny to take me down there, I want to help you, if I can." He said, Jeanette smiled at him, he smiled back, Ethan looked at the two, trying to figure out what the relationship between the two was, he didn't like the fact that the two seemed to be getting close.

"Okay guys, we're leaving in what? Two days? Three days? So all we have to do is to keep a low profile, and when we get out of here, there won't be much they can do to us." Ethan decided, Jeanette and Enoch nodded, but Cameron didn't look too sure.

"Are you sure that's all we can do?" He asked, biting his lip. Ethan nodded.

"We can't afford to fight and lose, we've lost so much already." Ethan answered.

"Do we tell Nathan?" Jeanette asked, Ethan shook his head at once.

"The less he knows the better, if they know he didn't help us, they might leave him alone." Ethan answered. Jeanette nodded, as did Cameron. Enoch also nodded, after a few minutes, as though he wasn't sure who Nathan was.

"Nathan is Ethan's little brother; he was with us in... that place. We don't want him to get hurt." Jeanette explained, causing Enoch to nod.

"So, let's just act as though everything is normal." Cameron said, before leaving the room, Ethan following him, Jeanette and Enoch looked at each other, before deciding on going for a walk in the bright sun. perhaps they could pull this off.