How to Write Like Shakespeare

How to Write like Shakespeare
By Fox-Trot-9

Have you ever struggled with how to use old pronouns? You know, those Shakespearean / Elizabethan pronouns, like THOU, THEE, THINE, THY, THYSELF, and YE? Time and again, I have seen many a writer butcher the use of these pronouns, and it makes me face-palm myself. For the interests of clarity, I will concentrate on the basics. (Don't worry! I'll use examples to illustrate what I mean.)

* * *

First, THOU, THEE, THINE, THY / THINE, and THYSELF are all 2nd-person singular pronouns, usually used in the informal or intimate sense. As in, between close friends, lovers, family members in informal or intimate occasions. Verbs have -st / -est / -lt / -rt at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense.

ex) thou hast (you have), thou goest (you go), thou doest / thou dost (you do), thou beest (you be), thou art (you are), thou wilt do (you will do), thou shalt do (you shall do), thou must do (you must do), thou mightest do / thou might'st do (you might do), thou bringest / thou bring'st (you bring), thou broughtest / thou brought'st (you brought), thou walkest / thou walk'st (you walk), thou walked'st thyself (you walked yourself).

Second, YOU, YOU, YOURS, YOUR, and YOURSELF are all 2nd-person singular pronouns, usually used in the formal or polite sense. As in, between first-time acquaintances, strangers, business partners in the formal, public or polite occasions. Verbs have none of the above at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense.

ex) you have, you go, you do, you be, you are, you will, you shall, you must, you might, you bring, you brought, you walk, you walked yourself.

Third, YE and YOURSELVES are 2nd-person plural pronoun, usually used in the formal or polite sense in formal occasions. As in, a speaker addressing a crowd (small or big, it doesn't matter). There is an exception, though, in which YE can also be a 2nd-person singular pronoun, used in the informal or intimate sense. As in, between two lovers or very close friends. Verbs have none of the above at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense.

ex) ye have, ye go, ye do, ye be, ye are, ye will, ye shall, ye must, ye might, ye bring, ye brought, ye walk, ye walked yourselves.

Fourth, I, ME, MINE, MY / MINE, and MYSELF are all 1st-person singular pronouns, used in formal or informal occasions. Verbs have none of the above at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense.

ex) I have, I go, I do, I be, I am, I will, I shall, I must, I might, I bring, I brought, I walk, I walked myself.

Fifth, WE, US, OUR, OURS and OURSELVES are all 1st-person plural pronouns, used in formal or informal occasions. Verbs have none of the above at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense.

ex) we have, we go, we do, we be, we are, we will, we shall, we must, we might, we bring, we brought, we walk, we walked ourselves.

Sixth, HE / SHE / IT, HIM / HER / IT, HIS / HER / ITS, HIS / HERS / ITS, and HIMSELF / HERSELF / ITSELF are all 3rd-person singular pronouns, used in formal and informal occasions. Verbs have -eth / -th at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense.

ex) he hath (he has), she goeth (she goes), it doeth / doth (it does), he is, she is, it will (it will), he shall, it must, he mighteth / he might (he might), she bringeth / she brings (she brings), it broughteth (it brought), he walketh (he walks), she walked'th herself / she walked herself (she walked herself).

Seventh, THEY, THEM, THEIR, and THEIRS, and THEMSELVES are all 3rd-person plural pronouns, used in formal and informal occasions. Verbs have none of the above at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense. Verbs have none of the above at the end for past tense, present tense and future tense (or at least I don't think so).