I'm here

South Chicago 2006

Sarah knew where to hide. As always, she climbed to the flat roof of an abandoned block. From there she looked down and could see the hole scenary of the city, its inner beauty, its grotesque side, its smelly alleys and sometimes several cop's cars going around,the sound of the sirenes fading away. She could see all this but her favourite sight was above. She and Vic used to lie on her back and contemplate the sky.  Blue, clear, with clouds, rain, it didn't matter, for her it's unpredictable mood was what was really fascinating about it. When Vic shared with her this experience, fooling around and reading to her his rhymes, she imagined that was how it felt to be in heaven. And she hated that lately, having Vic beside her, just the utterance of her name, made her feel shy and nervous.

Although today was sunny, inside her head thunders, dark clouds and heavy rain were falling.

She tensed when she heard steps coming. It couldn't be possible,nobody but her knew her secret shelter, nobody but her and...

''Vic! What are you doing here?''

Sarah stood up immediately and did her head nervously. She thought she might look awful with all that dried tears in her face and messy hair.

''Hey, Why are you surprise? This is our shelter remember? And this one here'' he said pointing at his chest'' this is your friend and I'm here for you''

''I know'' Sarah bit her lips. The bitter taste of the tears in her throat ''But I want you to go now''

''Stop avoiding me!!! What the hell happens with you?''

He seemed angry, and with reason she thought.

''I need to be alone that's all''

''No!'' Vic had his flared parts widen ''What are you hidding naughty girl?''

''Nothing! Go, Vic please!'' She dried the two tears that were crossing her face when Vic looked to the sky.

''I'm not going anyway,I tell you by now. I know you are in trouble. I know you''

Oh yeah, of course he knew her. And that was exactly the worst part of it. She couldn't be able to hide it anymore, he would discover anyway. His wit was one of the characteristics she more loved of him.

''Come here, come closer'' Vic said this with the softest voice ''You've always trusted me''

Vic surrounded Sarah tighly with his arms. Sarah bursted crying. He kissed her forehead and held her head,
looking straight to her eyes.

''Hey, hey, baby, just let it go. Cry, don't feel bad for crying in front of me. You're not alone''

''Vic, you wouldn't believe me''

''What? Let it come out of you''

''My parents...they've just told me they found me abandoned in the street, they are not my real parents Vic, my life is a farce''

''Wait, wait What?''

''That's it''

''You know I'm here for everything you need right? Your happines is my happines''

Sarah nodded while she continued sobbing.

''If you don't want to go home, you can  stay at my place''

No. She couldn't accept the offer. She couldn't stand showing so indefense in front of him, so shattered. He was what she most wanted, she felt awkard when she imagined kissing his lips or caressing his hair but that was most of the time in her head, and it was consuming her to pieces.

''Come with me!'' Told her Vic taking Sarah's hand.

''I can't''

''I don't see why not''

''My little brother needs me''

Vic looked to the ground. Sarah really thought she looked sad for her answer and one pretensious question flew in her head: What if he felt the same way about her?

''Then I'll stay with you...At least tonight''

Vic was so good. For Sarah he was a personified angel whose wings were the ones who made the weight on her shoulders seem less heavy, that carried her through these cruel streets and lifted her in her worse moments. That was,Vic, my love,my angel.

And she didn't think before acting. She couldn't even think about what this simple and harmless thing could suppose to both of them. There, under a shinny blue sky, above the mazes of streets, in between bird's nests, from eight meters to the ground, there, a girl and a boy, they together against the city that has united them and that were transforming them into what they would be tomorrow. Above Chicago, with all its disgrace and misery, they joined their lips together in a sweet, fearful innocent kiss and with it, they brought a bit of heaven with them, wherever that was, in that moment, it filled Chicago.