Chapter 1

Grace twisted her long silky black hair into a bun before putting her square-framed glasses on. Starring in the mirror her bright blue eyes looked back at her. She was often told that she had her mother's eyes. Grace would always laugh and ask which mother?

She quickly slipped on her ballerina flats and threw on her lavender cardigan on. Glancing at the clock, she grabbed her keys and quickly made her way out of her apartment. Grace was praying to whoever would listen that traffic wasn't terrible otherwise the students would make it there before she did.

Grace sighed as she pulled up into the Douglas High School parking lot. Dreading the beginning to what was sure to be a long week. It wasn't that she didn't like her job, she loved everything about it from the students to the subject she taught. But there was one tiny problem. A tiny problem that had started becoming more and more annoying as time moved on, and that problem was named Cassandra Williams. Miss Williams is the school's newest world history teacher and her room directly across from Grace's. For some unknown reason the teacher had taken a deep disliking to her, always throwing glares her way when they passed in the hallway.

Knowing she couldn't hide in her car all day she grabbed her bag and left her car; moving quickly trying to beat Miss Williams to her classroom. As she reached the door to her classroom, she took note that the one across from hers was still dark. Grace felt like doing a backflip as she unlocked her room.

Her classroom had always felt like another home to her. The stone walls were painted a light shade of green, with posters hanging on them. Setting her bag down she pulled out last week's graded assignments and set them down on her mahogany desk. Her favorite part of her room was the wall facing the beautiful courtyard. The walls had three large windows, enough to where she could see the beautiful trees and some of the flowers.

As her first hour class began to file in she could tell that she wasn't the only one who would rather be in bed this morning. Unfortunately as much as her students and even she would enjoy having a free day, they couldn't afford it.

"Good morning, hope you all had a good weekend. We are going to be splitting into groups and discussing the reading that was assigned over the weekend." A couple of groans followed her announcement.

*********

Grace let out a sigh of relief as her fifth hour class made their way out their way out of her room. Mondays were her least favorite day of the week. Just the fact of having a couple days off in a row can really get anyone out of the working mood. Grace hadn't had a chance to check her emails since she had arrived to school on the later side of things. So she quickly logged to her email, wanting to make it quick since this was her lunch period.

And it was a good thing she had decided to check because the principal had sent out a mass email to the staff about a meeting directly after school ended.

Grace really wanted to reply back that it would be great if he would stop emailing them the day of said meetings. But knowing that would get her nowhere but in trouble she just clicked out of the screen.

Grabbing her keys, lunch tote, and phone she made her way to the teacher's lounge. Grace knew she needed to text her mother that she was going to be late because of the meeting. Tardiness was her mother Maria's pet peeve, but Grace was more concerned about how worried her mother Alexis would be. Usually when Grace was running late she got two texts one asking if she was in a ditch and one berating her for being unpunctual.

However trying to text and walking wasn't working successfully as she had planned. Completely focused on her phone she didn't notice the person who was heading towards her. Grace soon collided into a hard body.