Laurette stepped back after a moment, looking up "It's called a Devinette. It's some kind of riddle mothers used to teach their children magic back then. My mother used it on me so I could learn the most complicated spells. Once you solve it, it disappears"

Elijah nodded in understanding, walking away.

Laurette followed him.

~8~

Courtyard

They made their way to Marcel who was barking orders to several vampires to search for the missing Original vampires around the city.

"Anything?" Elijah asked, stopping in front of Marcel.

Laurette stood next to Elijah, wriggling her fingers nervously, eyeing the vampires scattered in the room, aware that she was the only human in the room, a walking blood bag. She was sure the blood running through her veins was tempting.

The thought made her take another step closer to Elijah for protection, though she was sure she could use her magic to protect herself. However in the small amount of time she'd been alive, she found out vampires weren't fond of witches so she knew if she used her magic to defend herself, she wouldn't get out of there alive.

Elijah heard Laurette's heartbeat raise as she fidgeted and placed a hand in between her shoulder plates as a mean to let the other vampires know she was under his protection.

Marcel tilted his head, "They're putting eyes and ears out everywhere. Daywalkers are working every contact we've got. Cops, dock workers, guys in the Treme. Word is out. Anyone trying to earn favor with me gets a lifetime of it if they find them"

"Good" Elijah told him, walking away, leading Laurette with him, his hand on her middle back. "I need a pen and paper"

Marcel paused for a moment, rolling his eyes, following after them "Hey, am I taking orders from you now or are we in this together?"

Elijah started unbuttoning his shirt, looking at him in frustration "Pen and paper, Marcellus. Now!"

Marcel sighed "I want her back just as much as you do, you know? The both of them"

Marcel walked away.

Elijah began stripping off his shirt, calling out, "Hayley!"

Laurette sat on a chair nearby silently, looking at Elijah curiously.

Hayley walked in "Elijah! You're back. Did you find any... " She stopped talking and walking, noticing Elijah shirtless, his chest and arms were covered in tattooed names, gaping awkwardly and confused "...thing?" Laurette smiled in amusement "What is happening?"

"I need you to make a list of these names" Elijah told her.

Laurette looked at him scoldingly, crossing her arms.

He's the one to solve the puzzle not Hayley or Marcel. Elijah

Hayley nodded awkwardly, examining the tattooed names across his body, frowning when she came across a familiar name, reading out loud "Sabine'? Elijah, what is this?"

"I believe they represent the names of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries" Elijah explained. He gestured at the silent witch who Hayley just realized was there. Laurette waved slightly in greeting "Laurette explained is a form of learning. Kind of a riddle. I have to solve it to make it disappear"

Marcel walked in, handing a paper and a pen to Hayley, nodding in confirmation "She's right. Witches use them to teach their kids"

Laurette smiled "Yeah, it's useful to learn difficult spells"