Chapter 21 (edited)

That week in school I focused on my projects and handing in my essays on time. I told Luke about everything that happened and he didn’t know about a king of the Vampires. Meeting Dacre was probably a big deal, and if he was anything like Dracula then I was going to be in trouble.

            In photo I was doing some final tweaking when a girl came up to me with a grin on her face.

“Can I help you?” I asked.

“Ben Storm. You know him?” she squealed.

“What?” I asked as she handed me her Magazine that was titled “Ben has a family! Inside scoop on pg 13.”

            I opened the magazine and flipped to page 13 and there was the family shot along with a picture of Greg and me with a question mark above us. The article was twisted bullshit.

“Can I keep this?” I asked.

“Of course, but tell me, is Ben Storm nice?” She asked.

“He is quite a character,” I replied.

            Heading home I wondered if Greg or Andrew had seen the article. I had to drop Luke off at his house because his car broke down and was getting fixed.

“This article is strange. It reads: Greg, son of Ben Storm, is accompanied by girlfriend (?), Violet, when Ben made the big announcement. So what is the scoop on this dark hottie? Is he single? Is he taken by Violet? Greg refused to give us any details so we asked an anonymous schoolmate who said, “They have always been inseparable. It’s like on TV when there are two best friends and the audience knows they should be together but they both are afraid to make a move.” So there it is, he is single…for now! It then continues about Jackie. So how are your fifteen minutes of fame going?” Luke joked.

“Shut up, magazines are so stupid. They are filled with bullshit,” I said.

“So it’s not true?” Luke asked.

“I don’t know,” I replied as we pulled into his driveway.

“Okay, see you later,” Luke said handing me the magazine.

            I was about to pull out when Luke walked back to the car.

“So what about Andrew? You guys went to the movies the other night,” Luke said.

“Funny, I don’t know, and I’m not telling you. This is girl gossip, this is stuff I would talk about with Jesse,” I explained.

            Luke shook his head and I pulled out of the driveway and headed home. Andrew was sitting in the kitchen when I got home and I tossed him the magazine. He looked at it and read the article.

“You’re in here,” Andrew said.

“Yeah…” I said and put on the kettle.

“I’m going to go upstairs and call my dad,” Andrew said.

“Okay, see you later,” I said.

            I was sitting in the kitchen drinking my tea and doing some last minute studying when Andrew came in fuming with anger.

“You won’t believe what Ben did!” Andrew growled.

“I bet you’re going to tell me,” I said seeing the same temper Greg had.

“He has been tracking my phone! He is in Connecticut and he and mom are on their way over,” Andrew snarled.

“Why are you angry?” I asked.

“I don’t want to see them,” Andrew said sitting down.

“They won’t suspect a thing,” I promised.

“I’m scared,” Andrew admitted and took my hand for support.

“It’s okay, they will never know. They just want to see you, make sure you’re happy,” I assured.

            Andrew sat with me in the kitchen until his parents arrived. When the doorbell rang he got up shakily and I nodded to him to get the door. I stayed in the kitchen as I heard his mother greet him. They walked in and the mother looked me over in my baggy shirt and PJ pants.

“You’re living with a girl?” his mother exclaimed, “You got her pregnant didn’t you!” She cried.

“No! Mom, god, no!” Andrew said completely embarrassed by his mother’s assumption.

“Hi, I’m Violet,” I said standing up.

“I see you’ve read the article,” Ben said noting the magazine on the table.

“Yeah,” I smiled.

“Greg was furious when he read it, I think he is too embarrassed to call you,” Ben grinned in amusement.

“Okay you saw that I’m okay, you guys can leave now,” Greg said.

“Have you lost your manners!” his mother exclaimed.

“Sorry, he is just tired from school, please sit down. Can I make you anything?” I offered.

“Thank you dear, a cup of tea would be perfect,” Greg’s mother smiled.

            I headed over and put the kettle on again. Greg’s mother watched me with curiosity.

“You know Jackie and Greg?” She asked.

“Yeah, I’ve known Greg since I was a little kid,” I said.

“What are they like?” She asked.

“Extremely kind,” I said not wanting to say more.

“Mom stop,” Andrew complained.

“I see nothing’s changed with you,” She commented, “So Violet, what do you think of my son?”

“Mom!” Greg cried.

“It’s okay. He is honestly wonderful, a joy to have around the house,” I smiled warmly and Andrew looked surprised.

“Glad to hear. He helps you out right?” she asked.

“Of course,” I replied.

“I will tell Greg to give you a call,” Ben said.

“Please, I haven’t heard from him in a while, I miss him,” I smiled.