Chapter 6

I sit on the backseat of the car. There is an awkward silence.

I open my mouth to speak but mum beats me to it.

"I still just can't believe you would do that,josh."

She sounds disappointed, angry. The type of voice parents use when they tell you off and say how much potential you have. It drives me crazy, especially at this moment.

"I keep saying that-"

"I don't believe you, Josh. I really don't. please. Do not lie to me, I'm your mother and don't you forget that!"

I fall silent and look out of the window. It's a waste of time telling the truth of no one will believe me.

"Josh, you are my son. I don't want you doing any of these dangerous stunts again."

Stunts!?

"I'll be keeping a close eye on you. No sharp things that you can use to injure yourself. No staying in your room for hours on end, doing god knows what. You'll be somewhere we can keep an eye on you,"

"Oh great!" I groan without thinking. "Now I'm on lockdown for something that I didn't do!"

"Josh, quiet!"

"It isn't fair!'

The house comes into view.

I push the car door open and follow mum into the house.

"Alex, you're back!" Ronnie calls from the top of the stairs, face creased with worry. "I can't believe you tried to chop your finger off , you idiot!"

"Ronnie, go to bed, please," mum sighed tiredly. Ronnie said nothing, and ran into his bedroom.

Grandma and grandpa came and hugged me hard.

"Oh, Josh! Please don't do that again," Grandma breathed.

I blink back tears. I didn't do anything, I didn't!

Mum suddenly sobs loudly making me look down in shame. I've made my own mum cry now. What is the matter with me?

I bite my lip, break away from gran and turn to mum.

"I'll tell you one more time, I didn't, I didn't, I DIDN'T do it!" I shouted the last words and ran upstairs.

Nice one, Alex.

Ronnie was waiting at the top of the stairs, a funny look on his face.

"Hi, Ronnie," I sigh.

Ronnie wrinkles his nose. He looks confused. "Ronnie? Who is that?"

I stare. "You! You're Ronnie,"

Ronnie lifts hid hands in front of him and wriggles them experimentally. A slow smile creeps up his face and his eyes flash.

A shiver runs down my spine. "Ron?"

Ronnie looks up so fast I hear his neck crick. "Yes?"

"Uh.. are you.. okay?"

"Yes, never finer, Alex. I have things to do. I need to go into my bedroom," Ronnie quickly stumbles into his room.

I frown and blink. What just happened? Why do I feel like something is wrong?