six → forget-me-not

hawkins, indiana. 1984, june 28th. monday, 3:45pm. hawkins general hospital.

there was a crack in the darkness that enveloped him. the white light was an overpowering contrast to the dark he'd become familiar with, that the boy wished he'd hadn't woken up. soon, muffled voices, as if wrapped in a ball of cotton broke the silence as mike drifted into consciousness. he strained his brain to remember how he'd gotten into this darkness and where he could possibly be but he couldn't come up with anything good, the only memories he could come up with blurry, as if looking through a fogged up glass.
slowly but surely mike came to his senses and looked around to see his mother and his sister hovering over him on one side, and and his friends on the other. soon, he realised he was laying on a bed with white sheets in a room with white walls and a white ceiling and an iv was in his arm and- holy shit, he was in a hospital? what happened? how did he get here? and most importantly, where is el?
"mike, honey, are you awake now?" karen asked in a worried tone.
"w-water" the boy croaked in a rough voice.
a few minutes and a glass of fresh water later, mike was determined to find out what happened.
"why am i here? what happened to me?" he asked, looking around at all of the people here.
"we were riding our bikes in the forrest and we were racing and you were way ahead of all of us when you suddenly fell into a ditch and you passed out and holy shit there was blood everywhere." dustin explained, speaking way too quickly.
"you hit your head and had to get it stitched, honey" his mom added, and he touched his scalp where, true to her words, there was a tiny bald patch and in the middle of it, a neat -feeling row of stitches. funnily enough, his head didn't hurt at all except for the stitches. if he had really hit his head so hard to require stitches, wouldn't he be in tremendous pain? and how come he was ahead? usually lucas was way faster than all three of them. most importantly, where was the fourth member to their squad, the newest addition, el?
"mom, where's eleven?"
"who? eleven? who is that? that doesn't even sound like a normal name. son, did you hit your head so hard you became schizophrenic?" karen panicked, and instead of being relieved that at least his mom was acting normal, he was even more confused. his mom had loved eleven in the week she'd stayed with them.
"guys, you remember eleven right? where did she go?" mike asked, turning to his friends.
"mike, you're seriously starting to creep us out now, man. we've never met anyone named eleven."

told y'all this chapter will be short. i'm so excited for part two tho so expect the first chapter of part two up sometime after the weekend.