Chapter 12.

No one said a word at this sudden change in scenery, too busy looking it over in surprise and awe. They knew Suzaku was unusual—the way she had turned up had been proof of that—but it seemed there were plenty of things to see, which none of them would have expected. Even Kakuzu, who was used to some of Suzaku's actions, was surprised at this new development, and narrowed his eyes as he analysed it, a smirk flickering over his expression for a second. He should have known something like this would happen—Suzaku had a habit of surprising people. Right from the beginning Kakuzu had known she was unpredictable, and now he was going to be spending more time with her, he had no doubt this fact would only become ever more clear. But he said nothing, merely following on behind Suzaku just as the rest of the Akatsuki did, waiting to see what would happen next.

Though Kakuzu wasn't the only one who was impressed. Pein examined the building in front of him, thinking over how it had just appeared from nothing. Whether this was to do with her abilities or some other jutsu placed upon it, he didn't know. But from the start he had been interested in her, noting Kakuzu didn't know a lot about her, instead keeping a sense of mystery and awakening his curiosity, and it only seemed to be increasing the more he was around her. Suzaku was definitely one to keep an eye on, a thought that remained in Pein's mind as they all drew closer to the building. Soon enough, however, they finally reached it, and Suzaku hesitated only to lay a palm on the door, before she opened it up and led them all inside. It wasn't exactly a grand building with luxury and decorations, but none of the hideouts were—they didn't need it to be. It was a place to stay, and that's what mattered. As Suzaku strode down the corridor she mentioned where the rooms were, though left who would stay in which bedroom to the Akatsuki.

But stopping in the living room, turning round to face them once more, Suzaku's eyes met with each and every one of them, her expression serious and her gaze intense, staying silent for a few moments to make sure the Akatsuki understood she was serious. Once she was sure of that, she stated bluntly, quiet but firm,

"My room is the last on the right. It will remain that way, and isn't something to be 'explored'. I will respect your privacy, if you respect mine. So stay away from what I consider to be personal—or, regardless of who you are or what organization you are in—I will kill you."

Blinking in surprise at this abrupt comment, most simply nodded in acceptance, a few raised eyebrows in the meantime. It was only Hidan who had to smother a grin; Suzaku's last words echoing round in his head. After all, he'd heard them enough—from Kakuzu. In the same way, the same tone, the same bluntness with which she said it...it was Kakuzu, all over, and suddenly Hidan understood why they got on so well. Their similarities were obvious. But still—there was something about her that meant Hidan didn't plan on going near her room. Whereas with Kakuzu's threats he simply dismissed and ignored them, not about to stop what he was doing just because of what he'd said. If he wanted to do something, he'd do it, and Kakuzu wasn't about to stop him. Yet Suzaku was somehow different. The aura she carried around her was unusual, and automatically Hidan was both wary of her and drawn in. But regardless, none of the Akatsuki were about to go near her room. Kakuzu was willing to go through with his threats—and they'd all seen the results—so hearing Suzaku say her own gave them the feeling she would do the same.

With that comment serving as the end, everyone soon dispersed to either get something to eat or decide whose room was whose. Suzaku, Kakuzu and Pein remained in the living room, silent to begin with, Suzaku watching him as he looked around the room, his eyes narrowed as he took it all in. Knowing questions were already forming in his mind, Suzaku made no move to do anything, simply glancing at Kakuzu, who knew what was coming as well, and waiting for something to happen. A few moments later, however, and Pein finally decided to speak up, returning his gaze to hers. Suzaku had known he was the leader of the Akatsuki straight away, seeing an intensity in his eyes that was matched by the authoritative air he carried around with him. Understanding this, she stayed quiet, listening as Pein questioned quietly,

"You live here? So it belongs to your clan?"

"I stay here when I'm in the area, and yes, it belongs to my clan. But I don't live here, per se. My clan aren't from the area—I'm not entirely sure where they're from. Most of the time they travel from place to place," Suzaku shot back, seeing no need to hide any of this information from him. It was why she faced him openly as he responded,

"But you know this area. What's been going on."

"Yes—I can help you with your mission. If you give me more information."

Pausing only for a second, almost searching her eyes for something more, he assented and began explaining the mission. It wasn't exactly news to Suzaku—considering she'd caught up with them when they'd been being chased by a large amount of ninja, it had been clear it was something to do with them. But now, at least, she knew a little more, and nodding in thanks, Pein said he'd talk to everyone tomorrow about what they'd do next before he, too, left the room, leaving Kakuzu and Suzaku alone. In a way, Kakuzu almost felt relieved as Pein left, knowing that Suzaku was definitely going to be helping out on the mission, and that no one had any reason to tell her to go. It wasn't something Kakuzu quite understood at first, but thinking it over and he realised that he wanted to finish what he started. He'd only met Suzaku once before, though it had been for a while. In that time, though, they hadn't had much time to get to know each other—or more importantly, to sate the curiosity that had arisen from the moment he had first seen her. Suzaku herself was just as intrigued about him, and now they were on the same mission—staying in the same place—it meant that they could finally do something about it.

Though for the moment, it didn't seem like anything was going to happen. The silence came back again, and though it wasn't awkward, neither of them were sure where to go from there. There were questions they wanted to ask, things they wanted to know, but where to start? It had been so many years, and still being practically strangers, even if it felt otherwise, it was hard to know how to begin. Eventually, however, and Kakuzu alighted on a question that could easily be answered, and questioned casually,

"Why did you place your palm on the door before we came in? Was there protection on the building?"

Nodding slowly, Suzaku responded quietly,

"Yeah. There still is. There was a seal, and though I released it, I...well, 'unlocked' it, in a sense, to allow you all to come back and forth without any problems, while still stopping any unwanted presences."

Nodding in acceptance of that explanation, the silence returned—but neither Kakuzu nor Suzaku noticed it. Their eyes met, and just like when she'd taken him to his room all those years ago, neither of them could look away. Her eyes still bored into him, as if she could see his thoughts and feelings, and the same feeling that had arisen in Suzaku upon first meeting Kakuzu returned in full. The idea of speaking up again didn't cross either of their minds, leaving them standing and staring at each other as numerous thoughts ran through their heads. But as memories of their first meeting ran through Suzaku's head, she eventually smirked, stating softly,

"Nothing's changed. There's still something about you that interests me, Kakuzu. What exactly it is...I don't know. Maybe this time I'll get to find out."

With that, however, Suzaku turned and walked out of the living room, her cloak sweeping behind her as she disappeared without a sound. Kakuzu stayed where he was, thinking everything over, unsure where to go from there. He knew exactly what Suzaku was feeling, agreeing entirely with what she said, because he wanted the same. He wanted to figure out just what it was about her that drew him in. Because although he hadn't been around her long since seeing her again, she was affecting him once more. Kakuzu didn't want it to be that way, frustration building up at how things were turning out the same way they had before. But as he stood there for a moment, he eventually sighed, heading up to his room, knowing for certain...

There was no going back now.