Chapter 51

"The Beast?" Santos says. "Tell me there's not another monster locked up in this place."

Emily and I exchange curious looks.

Vander laughs. "What a vivid imagination you have, Sergeant. You and the professor run ahead in your squad car. The ladies and I will follow at a reasonable distance in my beastly RV."

"What's an RV?" asks Emily.

"A recreational vehicle," I say annoyed. "If you think I'm going to cruise along behind in an—"

"Anne, trust me," Vander says. "The Beast has important resources and you'll want to familiarize yourself with the medical equipment."

"Excellent idea," William exclaims as if it were settled.

I flash him my darkest look. His protectiveness is wearing at my nerves. I have the sudden urge to thrust him against a wall and show him how strong I really am. Or throw him into bed. Inwardly I blush. With everything going on, how can I even think of such a thing? Because now, despite his stifling chivalry, I want him more than ever.

If we survive this night I will claim him, not in blood, but in body.

As if sensing my thoughts, his gaze falls on me with fervent intensity. Obsession swims in his eyes and a trickle of unease crawls up my spine.

"Promise me, Vander," he says while staring at me. "Promise me you'll keep Anne safe."

Vander bows in acquiescence.

Emily has drifted toward the door, unwilling to follow behind Santos and William, but not wanting to leave me. Santos reaches for her and pulls her close. "Be careful. Webb doesn't know you exist. Let's keep it that way."

She doesn't reply, only looks at him with eyes the color of a lit universe, burning with stars and darkness. A tremble, invisible to him, begins in her but she catches it. She is at war with herself.

Why?

The whole world swims within her gaze. Santos seems to fall into it, mesmerized, then with a deep breath drags his eyes off her and steps out. Emily's eyes track Santos as he steps into the darkness.

William crosses the room, gathering me to him. His hands find my face and he looks at me, inside me, down into my very soul.

The world falls away.

"I've been searching for you my whole life, Anne, even in my dreams. To find you is the greatest gift. Perhaps there is a God." He drags his thumb across my mouth. "I love you," he whispers. "I will always love you."

Tears slide down my skin onto his fingers, all my sorrow falling into the palm of his hand.

He kisses me and before I can catch my breath, he is gone.