Chapter Twelve:

Chapter Twelve:

Lola moved frantically pressing her fingers against Cale’s neck and then his wrist when she couldn’t find the pulse. She wished desperately that they hadn’t been able to convince Jenn it was best for her to stay at school.  Jenn’s mom was a nurse, and Jenn would know how to help. She heard Cassidy’s hysterical voice demanding to know what was wrong.  Henry was trying to calm her down.

  Lola’s vision was starting to blur up as she tried to take deep breaths.  Cale wouldn’t die.  Cale couldn’t die.

  “Where’s the ambulance?” Cassidy asked angrily after breaking free of Henry’s grip.  She stood over her brother protectively and then crouched down.  “Well?” She demanded after placing a hand on Cale’s and then looking up at Lola.

  “I… I’ll go check,” Lola stood up and stepped into the hall.  The hall was completely deserted.  Lola moved swiftly towards the front doors and saw the ambulance come screeching into the parking lot.

  “Help!” She screamed running out the door and waving her arms.  “My friend was shot!”

  The paramedics burst out of the ambulance and got a stretcher out immediately.  The one in front gave orders before he followed Lola back through the building.

  “What happened?” he asked as calmly as he could.

  Lola took a deep breath as she led him to the room her friends were in.  “My friends Cale and Cassidy started at my school today and they heard about Alexandria Mitchell,” She waited for the paramedic to comment on Alexandria, but he didn’t.  “Anyway this insane cop arrested Cassidy saying that she’d murdered Alexandria.  We followed them and when we opened the door he pulled the trigger on the gun.  It went off with a loud bang and I was pushed against the wall.  Cassidy’s brother, Cale, shoved her out of the way and she hit her head.  Cale was shot in the shoulder.”

  “Wow,” Was all the paramedic said.  “Where are they?”

  Lola ran around a corner and stopped.  The paramedic followed after her and slammed into her back.  Lola stumbled forwards and fell against the closed door. 

  “What are you waiting for?” The paramedic asked.  “Open the door!”

  Lola shook her head.  Every piece of her was telling her to turn around and run.  She eyed the door warily, the bronze plaque gleaming in the light.  She backed away and was about to run when she heard a scream.

  “Cassidy,” Lola breathed out in terror, her eyes widening.

  “Is that your friend?” The paramedic asked.

  Lola nodded and bit her lip.  “I think that the evil police officer found them again,” She murmured.

  “Evil police officer?” The paramedic looked at Lola like she was insane.  “Let’s get you to the ambulance and check you out.”  He latched onto Lola’s forearm and started pulling her down the corridor.

  “No,” Lola said forcefully.  “NO! My friends are in there.  We have to save them.  Please!” She screamed.  “He’ll kill them!”

  She dissolved into sobs.  Her shoulders shook and the paramedic slowly walked her outside.

  “What’s wrong with her?” One of the other paramedics asked. 

  “She’s hallucinating or delusional.  But just in case,” The paramedic handed Lola over, “I’m going back to see if there really is anyone in trouble.”

  “We’ll handle her,” The man said as he led Lola into the ambulance.

  Lola started kicking and screaming.  “No! NO! They’ll die in there!”

  The paramedics all watched her warily before they closed the doors.

  Cassidy screamed as she went tumbling to the floor.  She narrowly missed crushing her brother who was lying in a pool of his own blood.

  Henry let out a yell and swung his fists.  He missed and his balance was thrown off.  He started to fall, but righted himself at the last moment.

  “You little bitch.” The words were hissed and then there was the loud crack of a hand hitting a face.

  Cassidy screamed again as she pressed her red face to the floor.  A trickle of blood dripped from her nose.

  “Cass, are you ok?” Henry shot past Clyde and put his arm around Cassidy. 

  Cassidy lifted her head and shifted her body so she was leaning on Henry.  He was warm and strong, a comforting presence in the horror of the moment. 

  “How touching,” Clyde sneered.  “You bitch.” He said again with a furious glare at Cassidy.

  “What?” She screamed suddenly, startling herself, Henry and Clyde.  “What did I do?”  Cassidy’s eyes were wild and blood slowly streamed from her nose.  It ran over her lips making them literally blood-red.

  Clyde laughed.  “You told the cops about me.” He said.  “Now they’ll arrest me for the murder of Alexandria.”

  “Good!” Cassidy exclaimed with a twisted smile.  “Then you’ll be locked up in prison which is where you should be.”

  Clyde’s eyes narrowed and he advanced on them.  “You. Little. Bitch.” With each word he punctuated it with a kick.  Cassidy fell back against Henry.

  “Don’t touch her,” A cold voice said.  “Clyde, get the hell away from the kids!”

  Three heads swiveled around to see a paramedic standing in the doorway.  He was holding a gun in his hands and his expression was calm.

  “You can’t do anything,” Clyde spat viciously.

  “I can do this.” The paramedic raised the gun and pointed it straight at Clyde’s head.  With absolutely no noise, the bullet came flying out of the gun.  Clyde stumbled and then fell over, dead as a door.  Blood poured from the hole in the direct center of his forehead.

  “C’mon kids,” The paramedic said.  “Let’s get you out of here.”

*************

  Welp I finished the story.  It'll be posted by the end of the week.  A chapter and an epilogue after this, so it's not super long.  I'm happy with the ending though.

  Expect updates on every other story by Saturday.