1) The price of a crown

Assalamu Alaikum! This is my entry for a contest hosted by PopcornSweetcorn

Published: Thursday, October 27th 2016 11:42 am

Have you ever had the feeling of knowing that people have this expectation that you'll do good? Those same people who have a certain perspective of your life always have the most to say about it. Doesn't it get annoying and unbearable? You're always being watched like a hawk and told what to do, but when you try to do it the right way you're told you did it wrong and to repeat. Wrong, repeat. Those are the two words that I've constantly heard throughout my lifetime.

When will it end? When is the time that you stop hearing the complaints and ways to do better and live, because I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm still trying to figure out why me and how to accomplish what is expected of me. There are many ways to fail and to get it right, but even though the two have the same amount of obstacles, they are dramatically different.

They both give you grief, and both are guaranteed to knock you down. But are you going to let that stop you? I didn't, and God knows how many times I've wanted to quit. Every damn day. I wasn't the only one. Everyone thought I would fail and let the struggles overcome me as much as they overwhelmed me. Getting back up wasn't the hardest. Losing everything that meant the world to you in the process is the ultimate test.

I had the opportunity to be happy once upon a time. Everything I ever wanted was made up of a six foot two brunette with eyes bluer than the ocean, and a smile that would bring you to your knees. He was my forever, not this. I can remember the first and last time we saw each other, both times taking my breath away. One line from him had me hooked for life, but another forced me to let go.

Forever is a dream that we can live

The future is in your hands, don't give up such power

I scoff at the word now. If I knew then what I knew now, power would mean as much to me as the weeds growing in between beautiful flowers. What right do they both have in messing up what works? Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and slap the girl I used to be, the naive and scared girl who would do anything for the wrong people, and nothing for the right people. I wish I could go back in time and tell him to stay and that I would give it up, that he was more important than everything that I thought was important.

The crazy thing is that I did try to do that and it would have worked if my brain didn't have a delayed reaction and I wasn't late. If I realized the truth a few months earlier I wouldn't have had my heart broken twice by the same guy and the scowl I put on when seeing happy couples wouldn't happen. Instead I would stay inside and take every lesson and class that was supposedly mandatory and prepare for the biggest change in my life.

Royalty.

My parents, the king and queen, have had high hopes for my life ever since they were told that I would be their only child. The fanciest clothes, tastiest food, and smartest teachers became my life, but much came from being spoiled. As I have mentioned before, high expectations became the price to such luxurious living. I didn't fault my parents for wanting what is best for me, that is a parents job after all. I fault their right hand man and long time friend Howard for influencing my parents to make decisions regarding our country, and more importantly me.