(2) New York, New York

[Chapter 2: New York, New York] Callie's POV

After much consoling and arguing I finally willingly sat inside the car. I went to ballet class before to say good bye to my classmates. I didn't bother going to school though. Meme and Pepe didn't care either. They just cared that I get in the dam car.

"Callie, you don't have to be so upset." Meme looked at me through the front rear mirror. "Change is good every once in awhile."

I ignored her. Sure it was childish but I wanted her to know how furious and upset I was, so instead I just looked out the window in a haze. There wasn't much traffic today on Sunday. Just a few other cars that passed by us quickly.

Meme drives so slow.

Not that I wanted to get to New York but I desperately needed to go to the little lady's room. Pepe first tried to bribe me to get in the car with baguettes. Silly Pepe. Meme was more reasonable and bribed me to take me on a shopping spree at the mall, and she even offered to buy me new pointe shoes for ballet.

I just couldn't possibly let that offer down! I almost never went shopping unless Fendi chewed my socks again, and quality pointe shoes were at least fifty bucks and up. Considering I didn't even have a job, that was a lot for me. At least I know what the first thing I'll do when I get to New York.

The old prunes in the front of the car started jabbering about bingo. Terrible isn't it? What is with them and bingo? All you do is place red checkers on a number, it's pretty much a sophisticated version of tic tac toe.

We thankfully stopped at a gas station and I ran inside the shop. I looked left and right but I didn't see any door or sign that said restrooms.

"Mister!" I called to the store clerk. He continued reading his book that must have been the size of a dictionary. "Mister?"

"How may I help you?" He claps his book shut averting his attention to me.

"Do you have a bathroom?"

"Nope."

I shot him a glare before running back outside and into the car. I always hated the putrid smell of gas, it always made me want to gag. God, I needed to pee! What gas station doesn't have a restroom?! Well I'm sure there is a toilet in there somewhere... but he just didn't feel like sharing. That bloody bastard hasn't he been taught common courtesy?

I crossed my legs for the rest of the drive there and sat in complete silence. Pepe was driving this time and Meme must have fallen asleep because they finally shut up about their bingo. I packed my belongings earlier but I just can't help thinking that I had forgotten something.

Oh I remember now! I forgot the feeling of being home. And I don't mean that cruddy house that I sleep in, I mean the ballet studio. The only reason I ever go home is because I'm broke and I needed food.

The ballet studio always gave me this welcoming feeling that just felt, right. If I was given the chance to actually live there, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

After what felt like an eternity, the sun was halfway down making the sky look a pinkish blue that reminded me of cotton candy. I could use some cotton candy right now. And some ice cream. Oh and some cherries to add with that.

"Can I see the mapquest?" I asked, bored. It was the first thing I said after all this time. Pepe quickly passed me a couple of printed of papers and focused on the road again.

I glanced over it looking for the estimated time.

"Merde!" I sat straight up from my cramped position wrinkling the papers from holding them too tight. "2048 miles!?" My eyes nearly fell out of my sockets. I reread the paper again and found the estimated time. "45 hours!? You're kidding me!"