(4) Eliot x Reader ~ Delayed Payments

Start from the beginning

"Aahhhh! Don't kill me, please! I'll give you anything!" Hardison lets out a high-pitched yelp while covering his face with his palms out in a sign of defeat.

"Hey! What about me! I'm here too, ya' know," Parker grumbles before looking up when hearing a giggle. "Oh, hey (Y/n)!" The blonde waves at her friend and steps out of the closet with a smile. "You killed all of them in in under five minutes? Nice!" Parker exclaims with raised eyebrows while gesturing to all the unconscious henchmen scattered around on the floor.

"Yeah," (Y/n) confirms," I learned from the best."

"(Y/n)! Why can't we just leave now," Hardison whines, finally leaving his hiding spot. "We'll just convince Nate to lend you money to pay your bills!"

"Hehe... About that, Hardison... ," the (h/c) haired hitter says nervously while looking away from her friend," I've been REALLY behind on paying my utility bills... And when I mean REALLY behind, I mean that I'm so behind that all the money we've gotten in our team account isn't enough to pay them off..."

"YOU WHAT?!" The hacker's scream echoes off the walls of the empty hallway and mostly likely have alerted nearby henchmen of their location.

"SHHHH!!!" Both women press a finger to their lips and hiss at the male.

"Shut up, Hardison! Do you want to die?!" (Y/n) glares at the hacker with a murderous look.

"No," the said hacker mumbles. "I just can't believe that you h-"

"(Y/N), GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW!"

"Hehe... Oops..."

An incredibly angry Eliot storms over to his three teammates and yanks (Y/n) up by the collar of her shirt. His face is red from running for a a long period of time and huge puffs of air leave his lips, blowing onto the second hitter's much cooler skin and making her shiver slightly.

"What were you thinking?! Running off like that can get you killed!" The brown haired male scolds his girlfriend like a mother would to her misbehaving child.

"I'm sorry! I promise I won't do it again," (Y/n) assures, pecking her boyfriend's cheek as insurance against his anger.

Luckily for her, the male hitter's anger dies down. He releases his grip on his girlfriend's shirt and lowers her down. Unbeknownst to the four, two henchmen had made their way up to the floor they're on and are hiding behind a corner. The barrels of their rifles poke out and rest on the side of the wall. Eliot, who notices the two barrels, casually puts an arm around (Y/n)'s waist. As soon as he sees the men's fingers moving towards the triggers, Eliot yanks (Y/n) against his chest and dives into the closet.

"Get down!"

Bullets fly as the two men shot at point blank towards their enemy. Parker and Hardison dropped to the floor upon hearing their friend's warning, but are now trapped on the floor and out in the hall like sitting ducks. (Y/n) allows her emotions to cloud her judgment and runs out to help the two. She throws a pocket knife in the henchmen's direction before pulling up Parker and shoving her into the closet space.

Eliot tackles (Y/n) to the ground right as a thug fires his weapon, consequently landing on a still-lying-flat-on-the-ground Hardison. A pained wheeze is heard from below the two hitters upon contact with the hacker they've fallen on.

"M-My s-spine!! Y-You guys have n-no respect for us g-geeks," the poor male sputters out with difficulty.

"I'm sorry!! I don't think Eliot is a least bit sorry, but I'm so sorry," (Y/n) apologizes while watching Eliot get up from the hacker's back.

"C'mere, you! You don't shoot at my girl and get away with it," Eliot growls.

The loud stomps of his boots, along with the scariness of the glare on his face, frightens the thug. He backs away as Eliot continues to move in. Eventually, Eliot has the man backed up into a corner with nowhere to escape.

---

Eliot walks over to his teammates with bloodstained knuckles and a victorious grin. The grin disappears when his eyes find a wound on his girlfriend's arm. He gently grabs the limb and rips open the sleep to examine the injury.

"Hey," (Y/n) pouts," I like this shirt!"

"I'll buy you another shirt, just stop moving. You're hurt," he replies without looking away from (Y/n)'s arm.

"It's only a graze, Eliot. I'll live."

"Ok, (Y/n). I just wanted to make sure you're ok."

"Make sure she's ok?! What about us?! What about me?! Does nobody care about me?!" Hardison complains, peeling himself off of the floor.

"We all care about you, Hardison," Nate says, his voice crackling on the comms. "But... Our priority will be our two hitters, seeing as we need them to be alive and kicking if we ourselves want to be in that same condition."

"W-What.... Fine then... I see how it is," the hacker dramatically throws his arms up while yelling. "Y'all don't care about poor, little ol' me!"

"I care about you," Parker chimes in.

"But you always say that," Hardison insists," I find it ridiculous that everybody else doesn't care about me!"

"We do care, Hardison," Sophie says, finally joining in on the conversation. "We just care a little bit more about the team members who are actually putting their lives on the line during every job."

"Well then... I feel so special." The hacker places a hand over his heart and feigns his hurt. In reality, he is only a little hurt about the team's concerns. For someone to put someone else's well-being before their own is something in unfathomable to the man. From a personal perspective, Hardison knows that he'd run away and hide if he were to be expected to have such a job. Staying behind a computer screen and working from his seat is a whole lot easier and comfortable. But if needed, he'd willingly risk his life to protect his teammates. His family.

Extended Ending:

"I told you to be careful, (Y/n)!"

"I was careful! I'm alive, am I not!?"

"That's not the point!"

"So you'd rather me be careful, but dead?!"

"No, I did not say that!"

"Then what are you saying, Eliot!?"

'Yup,' Hardison thinks to himself as he and the team walk back to Lucille,' I'd definitely protect this family.'