Chapter 15: Thrills

"Are you okay?" Jasper asks me on our way to the rollercoaster. 

I shake my head. "Not really," I say, smiling at him.

"It'll be okay," he says. All of a sudden, he grabs my hand and looks ahead of himself. I felt the heat growing on my cheeks. Every time Jasper touches my hand, I feel this rush of emotions. I don't know what it is. Does he like me? Do I like him? It's not something you really think about when your life is a nightmare. Maybe I've just missed him. I'll go with that.

So there we are, holding hands again

So there we are, holding hands again. The others are ahead of us with Mrs. Harmon. I'm about to ask Jasper if he's afraid of heights, when all of a sudden, I see a little girl sitting on a chair in front of us. She's no older than seven. Blood is stained on her forehead and her left eye dangles out of her skull. She's holding a sign. The sign says, "I died here." Behind her is The Drop ride.

I stop walking and point at her. "Look!" 

Jasper looks and when he does, she vanishes. "What is it?" He stops walking and looks at me.

My heart is beating fast and I'm afraid all over again. "I saw a-" I'm about to tell him when I see the girl again, walking toward Jasper in a slow-motion fashion. She smiles and blood spills between her lips. She's holding a hammer and when she nears his back, she whispers, "You're dead," in Jasper's ear while raising the hammer. 

I scream and pull Jasper away, causing us to both fall onto the ground. I'm looking around frantically for the girl but I don't see her. Jasper takes my hand, but I pull it away. "Girl-girl with a hammer." My words don't come out the way I want them to.

Jasper looks around and he's going, "What is it? What is it?" making a scene. By now, the others are running toward us.

"What is the problem?" Mrs. Harmon asks.

"She saw a girl," Jasper says.

Mrs. Harmon nods. "Yes, we do have some people who break in and linger around."

"She was dead!" I say a little bit too loudly.

Mrs. Harmon smiles and waves her hand. "The ride awaits."

Jerod helps me up and Doreen wipes the dirt off of my pants. "You okay?" Doreen asks.

"This place is creepy," I say.

Helena starts walking ahead. "What else is new?"

Doreen looks at me and shrugs. Everyone else heads back to the ride. Caleb hugs me. "It'll be okay," he says. "Be brave." He takes off toward the rollercoaster where everyone is being seated while Mrs. Harmon is working on the controls.

"It'll be okay, Emily," Jasper says. "Caleb's right. We have to be brave."

"I don't trust the rides. I don't trust Mrs. Harmon," I say.