CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: WHAT WAS MEANT TO BE

Start from the beginning

“So is this your way to punish me?” Kate asked looking at her with her mother with her face tilted and hands on her hips.

Her parents had to laugh at her childish stature. “Not at all. We wanted you to be able to express your feelings. We tried everything but you were so stuck in your prim and proper mode that you did not even realize we were giving you openings,” her father told her with a wink.

“You were?” asked Kate her mouth gaping open at her father’s words. “You mean you are not angry with me for having jumped into another relationship so quickly?” she asked frowning and Aidan wanted to bring her close to wade off her worries.

“Of course not honey!” her father exclaimed looking stunned that she would think of such a thing. “We’re your family, we would never judge you. But I have to admit that I was unwilling to participate in this drama at first. I wanted to know if the Aidan boy was serious or not. But then Jennifer and Caitlin related the whole university story and I was convinced that you two were made for each other.”

Kate looked in the direction of Caitlin and Jennifer with a grateful expression in her golden eyes obviously thanking them silently for their support. Caitlin winked at her sister for some encouragement. “Remember how Jennifer was hell-bent to make you attend the movies last week? Well, we were secretly planning your downfall,” she told her conspiratorially.

“Oh?” uttered Kate blushing and Aidan found her cuter than ever. Picking up her discomfiture, he finally decided to break the silence and rushed to her rescue.

“Mr. Thornton,” he said with a firm tone in his voice. “Kate did not want you to think that we cheated or something. If we had told you about our relationship, it would have looked as if we had been having an affair behind your back and I promise you I have not touched your daughter,” he said solemnly.

Alex nodded looking at him with respect. “I know son. I know my daughter better than anyone. I just wished that she had more trust in us though,” he said gently with a look filled with remorse towards his daughter.

“It’s not that I did not trust you,” she put in quickly for her defense. “But it was too risky for me, dad. I did not want my relationship with Aidan stained. Heaven only knows how difficult it was to get my love and to have it tagged as a mere betrayal would have simply broken my heart.”

“Edward,” she turned and addressed her ex fiancé who had remained silent throughout the conversation. “I swear that I was never with Aidan while I was engaged to you. I have known you all my life and I respect you too much to betray you like some vulgar two-timing girlfriend,” she confessed her voice husky with emotions.

“Oh honey!” delivered Aunt Abigail before Bigfoot had time to open his mouth. “You don’t need to justify yourself. I have known your family all my life and if I was angry at first it was because I wanted the best for my Edward. And the best is you dear,” she said with all sincerity and Aidan wanted to hug her for that.

Hell, he could even hug Bigfoot for making Kate feel better about herself. It would have always remained an unresolved issue between them and he was glad that they were sorting it out now. Aidan watched as Aunt Abigail hugged Kate and he did not feel a bit anxious now.

“Oh Aunt Abby, this is so touching,” Kate replied a tear falling off her cheek as she bent to kiss her ex mother-in-law.

Even Bigfoot smiled gently at Kate all his initial antagonism apparently gone. “Kate, I understand. I can see true love when I come across it. I just wish that someday I could find my soul mate too,” he said and hugged Kate and Aidan did not feel a bit jealous.

It was the best way to have ended that matter; there was no hard feelings after all. They were a true loving family and Aidan found himself wishing he was already part of such a lovely well-founded household. Seeing so much love and positivity around him had cured him and he could hardly believe that he was the relentless man he had been one month ago all set out to avenge his bruised ego.