"Who?" I asked, blinking my eyes ignorantly.

It was embarrassing enough that Austin found me, drunk and staggering in an ally. I had been weak and powerless and I didn't like the idea of it. I silently cursed myself for letting my guard down and becoming the carefree person I was never meant to be around the enemy. What if he was going to double-cross me? That'd be the end of me. Gah, I was so stupid sometimes.

Austin merely rolled his green eyes to heaven. "Oh come on, Jace. Let's just drop the pretense from now on."

"Okay." I wasn't exactly used to opening up to complete strangers in such a short span of time.

"You've got trust issues, don't you?" He cocked a blonde eyebrow at me. I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me off before I even had a chance to defend myself. "So what's going on with you and Damon?"

"I don't know." I replied, utterly frustrated. "He just became violent and aggressive to me today about you. For no reason!" I exclaimed, feeling more than a little exasperated.

"Over me? Aww I'm honored." He told me narcissistically and winked.

I continued ranting to him. "I mean, it's not like I owe him anything. We've know each other ever since young, who does he think he is to just extort information out with me... with violence!" I exclaimed.

Austin was using "simmer down" hand signs while I huffed grumpily. The waitress walked up to our table and delivered a plate of delicious steamed dumplings. The smell was godly. I hadn't eaten anything since lunch and the alcohol didn't fill me up very well. Smiling as I forgot about the rant about Damon, I picked up my chopsticks and delicately took a bite of the huge dumpling.

Austin laughed. I looked at him curiously, cocking my head to one side as I chewed and nibbled on my dumpling. It was really delicious. I savoured its meaty taste as its juice squirted out when my teeth sank into the dumpling. You must think I'm weird, huh? Going into such detail to describe food. I'm kind of a glutton, I guess.

"You know, sometimes I forget you're in a mafia." Austin wondered aloud. I continued chewing quietly, urging him to share his weird thought. "You look like a glutton, but you eat like a lady. You look so mature, yet you act like five. You're definitely weird."

"Hey!" I glared at him, offended.

He laughed it off good-naturedly and picked up his chopsticks, joining me in my feast. We talked about school and other things, and  I slowly got to know Austin better. He's been in Red Hunter for a few months only, he has no girlfriend and he lives alone. Well, that's all I managed to find out. Austin's lips are pretty much sealed with superglue.

My phone started ringing. I groaned. Looks like the consequences had arrived. Austin looked curiously at it, silently asking me: Aren't you going to answer it? I nodded grimly.

"Where the hell are you?"

I flinched. Nice to hear from you again too, Damon.

"I'm eating." I said quietly, though I was sure Damon would hear my quiet voice even though the background was so noisy and chaotic, with people shouting at one another to pass the salt.

"I know. Someone from the gang spotted you. You're supposed to be here three hours ago-"

"I'll be there in five."

Clicking the phone shut and turning it off, I rubbed my temples. It's time to face the music.

"Good luck." Austin said sympathetically. I nodded my head. I'll need the luck.

"Hey. Let me drop you off to wherever you need to go."

"I can't. It's headquarters."

"Oh."