"That depends on what you focus on, and what you're willing to give up. I didn't choose this. It was forced on me and cost me every damn thing I cared about. So whether you want to believe it or not, I would never do this to anyone else."

"Never is a long time."

"I have a lot of never ahead of me."

She looked down again, and he let her be. The questions would come when the questions came, and at some point she was going to decide he must have lied. And that thought pained him. Odd that after a century he still needed acceptance for who and what he was, just as he was. He ought to be used to the mess he called his life by now.

"So," she said finally, looking at him. "Why did you tell me, especially when it could be dangerous to you?"

"Because I get sick of the lies. I hate lying."

"And you were sure you would make me forget." Her tone was accusatory.

"Not sure. It doesn't always work." He waited, the night minutes ticking by, minutes he hated to waste because he couldn't extend them by much. But she needed the time to adjust, and he was smart enough to know it.

Little by little she seemed to be relaxing. Adapting. Accepting. He had no idea where that would lead, but it was a vast improvement over the edginess he'd felt in her since he'd awakened this evening.

For the first time since shock had caused her to sag onto the couch, she did more than glance at him. Her gaze met his directly, steadily. Her tone took on an edge of tartness. "This is so very cool. In one I learn there are demons and vampires both. I am just thrilled."

Her tone prevented him from taking offense. Indeed, he wouldn't have blamed her if she'd turned hysterical or accused him of being lying scum. By comparison, this was a mild reaction. "I know it's hard."

"Hard?" A short laugh escaped her. "Somehow I think it ought to be harder. But after the past week, I'd probably believe in werewolves, too."

"Um..." He drew the sound out and hesitated. Her eyes grew big again.

"No," she said.

"Afraid so."

"Oh, my God." She closed her eyes, but only a second or two passed before they snapped open again, intent now. "How much of the myth is true? Are you immortal?"

"Near enough. I die every morning and resurrect every night."

"Why do you keep backing away from me?"

"Because you smell so good to me. Regardless of how I choose to live, Beth, I'm still a predator. Nothing will ever change that."

"You want to kill me?" She looked appalled.

"I want to drink from you. There's a difference. I wouldn't kill you. That's not necessary, and certainly not desirable. But yes, I want you in ways you can't imagine."

She caught her breath, and stared at him wide-eyed. "Do you feel that way about every human?"

"Not quite. There are some who are more enticing than others. You're the most enticing morsel I've ever met."

"Oh." She twisted her fingers together. "As a meal?"

"In every way."

Her eyes widened, and then that maddening blush came to her cheeks. It called to him, to his hunger and his lust, as little had. He closed his eyes, seeking self-control even as his body hummed with need. She would never begin to imagine how hard it was. Now did he ever want her to.