"Girl Meets Boy" Contest Entry

As I turned around, I could feel my face heat up the slightest bit.  Staring.  Not only was Jake staring at me, but he was smiling.  Smiling. 

                Without thinking, I began to walk toward him.  “You look pretty happy today.”  I smile, but I’m mentally hitting myself over and over again.  Couldn’t have sounded more stupid, could you Raffina?

                “I am, it’s a pretty great day.”  He gives me his award-winning smile, and I’m sure if it was possible, I would’ve melted on the spot. 

When he looks at me like that, I want to believe that he feels the same way about me that I do about him.  Of course, after yesterday, how could I be so sure?  My fists automatically clench at the thought of Debra Quarantino, little Ms. Queen Bee in the flesh, rubbing herself all over Jake.  Jealousy definitely isn’t my best trait.  The punch I landed on Jake’s nose was the farthest thing from my mind as he uttered the words I never thought I’d hear.

“Wanna go out?”

My heart stops, and my breath hitches in my throat.  I watch him tense, looking like he’s bracing himself for a slap to the face.  I whisper “Sure” and smile before he can change his mind.

I see two emotions flash through his eyes, first confidence and then doubt.

“I mean like … like on a date type thing.”     

This time, I laugh.  “Yeah, I got that,” I reply.  I smile and look into his eyes as he looks back in mine. 

I haven’t been able to get those eyes out of my mind for the past month, and I realize that from that moment on, it’ll just be Jake and I.

And boy, do I like the sound of that.

_______________________________________________________________________

This is my entry for a contest!  If you want more info, then click the external link(: