ch 4 (Aspen)

The ice blue wallpaper is as cold as the room. Soon all I can see is the cold color. It fills the room, my eyes, my blood, my heart, my lungs, I can't...I can't breathe...
I...I can't take it...I...have to think about something else...anything else...
I pop a berry into my mouth and upon tasting how sour it is a memory hits me like a ton of bricks... I was sixteen and...and...

Knock, knock! "Come in..." I say tiredly from my bed. I look at the clock. 5:30 am. The door opens. "Hey..." a male's voice says, right outside the doorframe. He looks about Luna's age, a few years older? Probably. My wing's pretty secluded, and Ann is asleep, so we're all alone. He's wearing a guard's uniform, but I don't recall seeing him around. "Uh, hello. Does Luna want to speak to me...?" I ask. Though that'd be odd. Since the only times we spend time together is when tradition demands it, like during our birthday lunch and the holiday season when each member of the royal family must buy something from the less fortunate in the town market. That's how I got Ann. Well, that and screaming like a baby. "Actually, it's me who wants to talk to you..." he slowly steps in. "Okay..." I say with caution, not sure where this going. "I...I just can't get you out of my mind. Since the moment I first laid eyes on you I couldn't get you out of my mind..." he gets closer and closer until he's right next to my bed. He smells like pine. I should probably do something, but I'm frozen. Before I know what's happening, he grabs my face and kisses me. It's gentle and sweet. It's as if I have no control over myself, and I start to kiss back. This kiss becomes more passionate, deep, and wild by the second. His mouth tastes like the sour berries I love but Luna never lets me have anymore. Our lips never break apart. It goes on and on and on and on. ...And on. I feel breathless. Then I realize I really can't breathe. I put my hands on his chest and break the kiss. We both pant heavily. "I...I..." I stutter. "Shh..." he says, putting a finger to my lips. "I know, you're worried people might find out about us. But they won't, I promise. I love you, Aspen..." Wow, I've never been told 'I love you' by anyone before...
But how could he possibly know he loves me already? Yet again, what do I know about love? All I know is I need to hear those words from his lips again. I repeatedly kiss him and demand he says it again and again and again. The more he promises to love me forever, the more I give him. I gave him everything that night. And I never even bothered to ask his name when he was there. And I never got to, because I never saw him again...

I'm snapped out of thought by the sound of a bell ringing. It's time for the second course...