Chapter Three - Summer Magic

As I contemplated my meager selection of formalwear, trying to determine what to pack for our journey, I was startled by a scream followed by hysterical laughter and I hurried into the living room. Julie stood in pink and yellow polka dot pyjamas and Max sat on the couch, fully dressed and alert as ever, though her sullen face was still missing.

I blinked several times, wondering if the lack of sleep made me delirious. I absolutely had to be hallucinating, right? But as I glanced back and forth between my friends and took in the utter amusement on their faces, I realized I was completely awake and I could finally see what all the commotion was about; in my living room stood a shirtless man with long and flowing blonde hair. From the waist up, he was an absolute god and could have rivalled the sexiest Calvin Klein model alive. But as my eyes moved down his body, I realized that he couldn't possibly wear tighty-whiteys over a set of hairy, hoofed goat legs.

There was a man-goat standing in my living room.

As he flipped his hair over his shoulder with finesse, I nearly choked; noting the flash of goat ears and small, curled horns and it took all my self-control to keep from walking around him to look for a fuzzy white tail.

Julie turned to me with that giddy smile she got when catching a glimpse or a new piece of the magical world she felt left out of. "This is Felix. Tess sent him." I gaped, not sure which of her two statements shocked me more. Or maybe it was simply the fact that a half-man, half-goat could be so sexy. Or real.

Felix gave me a friendly smile and a grand bow. "Something about answering some questions you had?" He raised a taunting eyebrow, and I could have sworn I saw the shadow of a tail wag.

I snapped out of my awe-inspired gawking silence and returned his smile. "Um, yeah, she sent me a letter last night. I didn't think I'd be going right away, though." I made my way through the room and headed for the kitchen, hungry and more concerned than ever about what I would wear if I wasn't able to pack first. "I'm sorry, Felix. Even the Summer Queen has to wait for me to have coffee before I leave and trek through Faerie forests."

"Of course, my lady," he replied in the smoothest male voice I could ever remember hearing. "But there will be no need for trekking. The journey will be swift." Felix held up a gold chain, from which dangled a giant green gem.

My stomach churned and I would have protested had he not quickly continued, "The gracious Queen has lent me her stone. We shall teleport, saving both time and strength. That is not a problem, is it, my lady?" He seemed so eager to please. I could see he was concerned at the green tinge I knew my skin held. And rightly so – I found the idea nauseating.

I swallowed hard and pasted a smile. "No, that'll be fine."

"Excellent!" He glanced around and then took a seat on the sofa across from Max. She just stared at him with amusement. I could just imagine what was going through her mind. Perhaps, for once, she found pleasure in her own life. At least she could wear clothes.

As I poured a cup of the fresh, steaming coffee one of the other girls had brewed, Julie skipped over to me. Her excitement thrummed in the air around us. "So?" she prompted. I gave her a blank look and she huffed, rolling her eyes. "You're going to the Summer Court today and failed to mention it?"

"I didn't know," I whispered. "I got some sort of strange airmail note from Tess like five minutes ago and had just finished reading it when I heard the commotion in here. Obviously, she knew I would say yes." I frowned into my cup. "I think she wants to clear the air or whatever."

I sensed her jealousy and felt guilty. "Jules, you're going to be there soon, for the ceremony," I reminded her. It warranted a small smile, but she still resembled the kid getting over a cold who couldn't join her friends at the park. "You can dance and frolic with as many man-goats as you like."