The Spirit King's Halloween

"Alaric, what am I wearing?" Sabina looked herself over in the standing mirror in their room and wondered at herself. She was in a loosely fitted coral blouse and wearing dark blue pants. They hugged her legs to the ankle and sat low on her hips in a way she wasn't used to. She also had a gray-brown leather jacket and ankle boots. Those, at least, she was more familiar with.

Seeing him come up behind her through the mirror, she wondered at what he was wearing too. He had on his moon glasses, and half his hair was tied back in a long loop with some colorful pins keeping it in place. He had a white loosely fitted shirt, a gray grandpa sweater, and sandals. He also wore a watch and seemed to be checking the time.

After lowering his arm, he held out his hands with a grin to show her a bronze chain necklace. After putting it on her, he took a step back to admire. The thing drooped down her chest and looked good on her, so he gave a satisfied nod. Since he was awake for once and not feeling all too tired, he wanted to make sure they took advantage of the time.

It hadn't been long since their autumn wedding at the Fairy Tale Inn. In fact, they were just coming to the end of winter, but he wanted to celebrate with her. She'd learned since then that he was actually quite mellow. Those moments during which he was soft and kind were his true self. The playboy really had been a facade in his attempt to understand love. But now, he seemed to be much more romantic than when he'd been flirting with all those girls.

He brushed his fingers across her cheek and wore a cheeky grin as he leaned in toward her. She rolled her eyes and sighed, reprimanding herself for thinking that flirt was all fake. To be honest, it all seemed to change with the seasons. And, as it had been in the beginning, he did still like to manhandle her when he could make an excuse for it.

"These are clothes from a time ahead of ours," he explained, now fitting a shawl around her neck. "Are you warm enough?" He asked. "We're going a little backwards into fall but it will still be chilly."

She peeked up at him and brushed her fingers through a strand of his hair fallen over his face. "Are you?" She asked. The colder he was the sleepier he got. And if they were really going to spend the day together, she wanted him to be able to enjoy it.

His eyes lifted from the scarf to meet her eyes and he grinned. Then, he lifted a mute red scarf for himself and wrapped it around his neck. "Better now," he replied, taking her hand. "Let's go. Cupid is waiting below."

She nodded and followed him down the stairs of the living tree that was their home. Just as promised, Cupid was standing there. His back was to them so the unbrushed part of his shaggy dark hair was obvious. He had his hands in his pockets and was seeming to be content observing the fae getting ready for the coming of spring.

Sensing their arrival, he looked around to show his brilliant dark eyes and flashed them a friendly smile. "Ready?" He asked, holding his hands out to them.

They nodded, each taking one.

"Thanks for taking time out to do this, Eros," Sabina said using one of his other names. "It means a lot that we get to go out for a little." She glanced at Alaric, catching his eye and he chuckled with a nod.

"Of course." He laughed, seeming to be enjoying the idea of it. "Take care of her, yeah?" He added with a glance at Alaric. The Spirit King nodded. But Sabina looked between them, not understanding. What did he mean take care of her? She was capable of doing that herself. And then, as she stood wondering, they disappeared with a swirling of wind.

When Sabina felt steady she opened her eyes and looked around. She was still holding Alaric's hand but Cupid was gone. She turned her head about, her eyes wide for their new surroundings. She could smell the ocean, there were seagulls calling above, and they appeared to be on a dock. It was huge and built far off the beach. There were all sorts of things surrounding them, and she couldn't tell what to think of it all!