Chapter 2

Alex huffed in indignation when she reached her hand for the annoyingly early ringing phone. She wondered who could be calling her this early. As the clock on the nightstand showed it was only 6 a.m.

-Hello? Alexandra Ashworth speaking...- her voice was sleepy and slightly scratchy

-Good morning Miss Ashworth. This is Detective Chief Inspector Carter speaking from the Criminal Investigation Department. A body was found in one of the Library lecture halls and I need you do come here as soon as possible.

- A body? - she paused, slightly surprised, but she quickly snapped back - Of whom?

- According to the ID in the pocket of the victim, we are talking about Henry Jones, an MP from the Conservative party.

-Oh! He was one of the guests at the fundraiser. I'll be there in half an hour. - she snapped the phone shut and jumped out of bed. A shower was first in order but not before she started the coffee machine. She was NOT dealing with a murder this bright and early without a cup of coffee first. She knew very well how long this could take.

It took her twenty minutes to get ready, coffee included and after putting on her boots and coat she started the car. She did not live far from the Library so she arrived in a few minutes. There, she was not prepared for the sight that welcomed her. Police cars were parked everywhere,  maybe two dozens of officers were going in and out.  And the reporters from a few television stations were there too. Oh, swell! This will be all over the news today.

She parked the car in one of the few empty slots and went searching for someone who could direct her to the Chief Inspector.  She found him inside the main entrance hall.

-Detective Chief Inspector?  I am Alexandra Ashworth, Head Librarian. - she approached a man, maybe in his late thirties or early forties. Dark haired, good build, he looked a bit too young for such an important position. Quite nice looking, she could not avoid thinking it for a moment or two. In this mess, there was at least something that was easy on the eyes.

-Nice to meet you.. But sorry for the circumstances and for rousing you so early. Please, come this way to the Lecture Hall. It is not protocol, but in your case I'll make an exception -he shook her hand with a firm, masculine hand-shake. - If I understood correctly from the information I received, you are quite familiar with the procedures isn't it?

-Yes, indeed I am, even though been out of it for a few years now.

- Well, I was surprised to see your previous credentials if I have to be honest. Never would have thought a former field agent would be working in a Library. If you don't mind me being rude. - he give her a slight smile, and was that a wink?

-You are not the only one who was surprised, when I decided to retire and take on a less lethal job. -she responded. - What do you need from me? Probably the guest list first and then where I was last night and if anyone could corroborate that? - now it was her turn to wink as she saw the surprised look on his face. God, she was flirting with the Inspector on her way to a crime scene.

-You are quire right. We're here. Please, after  you - he lead her to one of the lecture halls that was at the end of the East hall. It was the rare documents reading hall she saw as she entered. Her thought went in an instant to the very rare documents that were displayed in the room in glass security cases. She really hoped nothing happened to those. Thier value was enormous. She cast a quick glance, estimating the possible damage to the room, but luckily, nothing was damaged. Just the carpet where the victim was lying face down.

- The victim was found by the night guard. There is one thing I did not want to mention on the phone. In his pocket, there was a message, addressed to you directly. - What? - she gasped. - How could this be related to me? I knew the man slightly as I invited him to the fundraiser but we certainly did not move in the same social or other circles.

-We are investigating this.- What did the message say? - she asked

-It said : " Remember Turkey? " - he said - the message is not clear to us...but from the look on your face it seems it is making sens to you ..

-Yes. It is - Alex sighed, slightly pale. This situation could get ugly very quickly. It was time to make a few friendly visits.