Suscpecting The Culprit

It had been a few weeks since the murder of the girl and things had gotten a little quiet. Everyone had just left the truth buried with the other dead things that high school cultivates just to let it die. Kanato had stopped avoiding me and had even become more wary of the other girls to make me feel better! It made me feel like I was on cloud nine, and even had me hoping for a deeper relationship in the near future. Just thinking about it made happy chills run down my spine and put a skip in my step. If you had told me I would look forward to school this month last year, I would have told them that they were crazy.
As I entered the school building, I listened to the latest gossip. Who liked who, who hated who, the regular high school gossip. Oh, and the girl's murder was still buzzing around. A few people had come up with suspects based on who she hated or who had a grudge against her for who knows what. I wasn't even close to that girl, so why would I be considered a suspect? I just stopped my skipping as someone came over, a girl in my class. I wondered what she wanted.
"Who do you think killed her?" She asked, not even batting an eye at the question. Of course not, I thought to myself, she's the president of the newspaper club despite being a first year. She wouldn't miss on anything that would get more readers.
"I don't know." I answered with a shrug of my shoulders as I took my outdoor shoes off and put my indoor shoes on. "I didn't really involve myself with her, so I didn't know too much about her. It's a tradgedy what happened for sure, but she-" I had to stop, covering my mouth with my hand. I almost laughed! Not good! "I'm sorry." I said, sounding like I was in grieving. "I just can't believe that someone would hurt someone else for whatever reason."
She put her hand on my back and rubbed small circles into it, trying to calm me down. "It's alright. No one expected it. She was honestly a good girl, had no obvious or public enemies." She stated, slipping into what everyone in class said her 'Reporter Mode'. It was when she started gettting immersed in the story she was trying to write and nine times out of ten she was right in her assumptions.
It was safe to say that I started to dread what was going to happen. "Really? Did you know if anyone hated her without confessing it? Like, she did something unknowingly to someone else and they held that against her?"
"I don't know, but that's what I plan on finding out." She said, her eyes showing this evil look that I've only seen on myself. Not good. But before I could say anything on it, her mood seemed to shift back to the happy one she approached with. "Oh well, thanks for the idea (Y/N)!" She said with excitment as she left for class. I just stood there as the bell rung, wondering what I had unknowingly released.

During lunch, I did some investigating of my own on the reporter girl. Her name was Amanda Rogers, an exchange student from America. She basically lived for journalism and the like; it ran in her blood with her dad being an undercover writer and her mom being a magazine editor. She would not stop until she believed she solved the case she was working on for her story. That made my hopes plummet even further, even as I went to see Kanato. Not even my beloved could cheer me up in this time of great peral.
I entered the empty classroom and forced a smile on my face as he stood up. I made him wait a few minutes and he did not look happy about it. "Sorry I'm late," I started with a remorsful tone. "I got held up looking into something for a research project my class is doing. It's about how different emotions affect the human mind." Well...it wasn't a complete lie. That was a project we were doing.
"You made Teddy and I wait!" He yelled, his voice seeming to break from the strain of trying to keep it down. He had improved on it, and it made me so proud! "We were planning on being gentle with you today, but you don't deserve it for what you did! You made us starve!"
"I'm sorry Kanato-kun. I'll do better, promise!" I said, trying to seem fearful but inside I was overjoyed. He wasn't going to hold back! I was so happy!
I tilted my head to the left where he hadn't bitten in awhile and had to hold back a squeak of excitment when he pulled me toward him and sank his sharp fangs into my neck. And that's when I realized he had been careful with me until this point. I screamed in almost incrusating pain and had to fight the urge to hit him. I just held tight to his shoulders and did my best to hold my voice back as much as I could. It was Kanato causing me this pain, after all!
As he finished up, I had to fight against everything in me to stay awake and breathing. It had been a lot more than he usually took and I was feeling more than just light headed. I was feeling cold and numb and my body was heavier than ever.
Kanato was about to leave when I guess he noticed. He grabbed me from behind and picked me up, whispering a quick "I'm sorry" into my ear that shocked me into silence. That was so out of character! I just leaned against his shoulder and waited the whole comfortable ride to the nurse's office. I was in there for the rest of the school day, and Kanato came to take me home! It was like a dream come true!
After I got home, I just laid in bed with a goofy smile slapped onto my face. I couldn't believe the day could be that much better just by my dearest being his true, bloodthirsty self around me. I had fallen hard, and I wouldn't, couldn't! have it any other way.
I had spent the remainder of the night trying to figure out how to fool Amanda into giving up the story of the murdered girl. But, sadly, I couldn't come up with anything that didn't result in killing her. Such a shame that Kanato didn't like me killing randomly or else it totally could've been the best option. So I gave up and hoped something would come to me tomorrow.

The next day, things had only gotten worse. Amanda had issued a reward for whoever brought her any helpful information about the murderer. I bit the inside of my cheek and watched as the whole school crowded around her to try and get whatever it was that she promised. So far, no one was even close, but it still had me worried. One word could send her into a frenzy and she could easily solve the so called case. So, I decided to get a closer edge.
I walked up to her as the crowd disintegrated when the first bell rang. I heard her give out a sigh as she collected her things. "No luck?" I asked as innocently as possible. "I thought for sure someone knew something."
"So did I. Just a tiny sliver of a hint!" She said, raising her hands above her head in dismay. "But I got nowhere." She slumped over again, a worried and yet determined look on her face.
"Then how about I help?" I suggested, trying to look just as motivated ad she did seconds before. "No one will know so they might be less willing to lie about anything they saw!"
Her eyes lit up like she was a child on Christmas. "Would you really? Thank you so much (Y/N)!" She tackled me with a hug before running off to class. I followed right after, smirking to myself. If I found anyone who might have seen something, I can just dispose of them before they have a chance to squeal.
Throughout the day, I listened to the rumors and gossip of the student body and used what I heard to my advantage. I decided to frame Hiyuki, a quiet yet popular girl in class. She and the victim were at a silent war to see who was the most popular with the boys and guess who won. For a high school girl, that could be enough motive to kill. I headed for Amanda during a study hall due to the lack of teacher and was beaming. "I learned something!"
"That quickly?" Amanda asked, looking suspicious yet interested. "What is it?"
"You know how the girls, or most of them anyway, were having that 'who's more popular' contest going on under the boy's noses?"
"Yeah, I do. It wasn't interesting enough to cover so I ignored it." She said with a sigh. "What about it?"
"Well, our victim and Hiyuki were both trying for the top, but the victim won. How do you think someone who worked so hard for people to see them in a certain light would accept not being seen as the best?" I asked, trying to hide the smirk that was creeping up when she seemed to buy it.
"You have a point. I'll investigate this further. Thanks for the help (Y/N)." She said with a smile before walking away, probably heading for the newspaper club's room. I headed back to my seat, grinning like a madwoman. I might have escaped her!

(Amanda's P.O.V)
As I headed out of the room, I glanced around to see if anyone was around before pulling out my phone. I ran a check on Hiyuki and frowned at what my results showed. She had every reason to act how she did, with her parents having died and everything. And a few of those girls seemed to know by how they acted whenever someone mentioned their parents. I leaned against a wall as I put my phone away. Something didn't add up...and maybe (Y/N) wasn't telling me the whole truth. She was smart, so she would've known. Was she lying to me? Only one way to find out.
I headed back into the classroom and saw her sitting at her seat, grinning like a fool. She couldn't hide forever. I would expose her, or I'm not a reporter.