Chapter 9 - High School Musical

Start from the beginning

Dylan chuckled and whacked me over the head. "Yeah, it'd ruin your image." he joked.

I grinned, "But seriously, Soph has a great voice."

Dylan nodded with a smile, "Yeah, I know. I was surprised she sang actually, she hasn't in a really long time.

I must've looked confused because Dylan explained, "It was something she used to do with Mom."

I nodded sympathetically, and realised why Soph must've walked out of musical rehearsal so quickly yesterday afternoon. Immediately I felt guilty for not noticing yesterday.

"But man, just keep an eye on her for me please," said Dylan seriously as he turned to look at me. "I don't want this musical making her upset."

"Yeah, of course bro." I replied quietly. Dylan walked off, muttering something about Soph never wanting to talk so he never knew when she was upset. I simply stared after, feeling helpless. I had musical rehearsal this afternoon, so I joined Dylan at the table and promised him again that I would look after Soph. She was practically my own little sister after all. That would explain how protective I was of her. Right?

My thought process was interrupted when Jessica walked over to our table and leeched onto me, sitting on my lap.

"Mike!" She squealed in my ear before full on kissing me on the lips.

Oh God.

---------------------------------------------------

 SOPHIA'S POV

I was sitting in calculus when I realised what had been bugging me all day.

It was what Grace had said yesterday.

She knew my mother. Heck, she even taught her.

And all I could think about was the fact that my Dad barely spoke about my mom, and the fact that Grace would probably be willing to tell me about her.

That's when I decided that I was going to talk to grace. I guess Dylan was right, I do need to talk about Mom.

Considering calculus was last period, and I had musical rehearsal after school, I figured that I should leave calculus early and talk to Grace.

So, I did something I ordinarily wouldn't.

I asked Mr. Tim for a sick bay pass because I was 'ill'. He happily obliged, and I picked up my books and walked straight to the drama room.

Just as I had expected, Grace was in the drama room. She was sitting at the piano and playing a simple tune, humming under her breath.

"Oh hello Soph," she greeted me once she realised that I had walked in.

I smiled hesitantly at her, "Hey Grace," I replied.

She raised her eyebrows, looking at me knowingly, "I think I know why you're here," she said with a smile.

I shrugged sheepishly. "Yeah, I wanted to talk to you about my Mom."

Grace nodded, and grinned warmly. "One of my favorite students," she said once again.

I heard the bell ring in the distance, meaning that school was finished for the day. I smiled, edging her to go on.

"I met your mother the same way I met you, in musical rehearsal." said Grace, remembering some distant memory.

"She was just a freshman when she tried out, but I gave her the lead straight away. She had such a talent for song that I could barely believe that she was the real deal," Grace added nostalgically.