Chapter 3

Ashton's POV
As I walk into my old room, so many memories go through my head all at once. I grew up here.

Dad and I would always play catch when I was 6. Then he had to work more as I got older.

Then my parents had Mae when I was 10.

My baby sister.

I can only imagine how hard it must be for her. Not having a dad at 4 years old and now, having our mom die. I was her age when our dad left. I was learning to cope with it, but she was younger. She was more vulnerable.

I should've been there for her. I hope I can make it up to her.

I finish unpacking my stuff and I head downstairs to get a glass of water. Aunt Nina is out doing groceries, so it's only me.

Wait. It's only me.

Mae left a half hour ago. She should've been back by now.
As I grab a glass, I hear the door open. I look and I see Mae walk in.
She shuts the door.

"Where's Aunt Nina?" she asks as she looks at me.

"Doing groceries," I answer.

I look at her, and I notice her eyes are puffy. As if she was crying.

"You okay, Mae- Flower?", I stiffen as I call her by her childhood nickname.

"I'm fine", she says.

"Ashton, do me a favor and don't call me 'Mae-Flower' anymore."

I look at her with a dumbfounded expression on my face.

"Why?" I ask.

"You used to love that name."

"I'm 14. I'd rather be called by my actual name."

"Okay, then."

As she walks to the stairs, something takes over me.

"Mae," I say.

She turns and looks at me.

"Yeah?" she says.

I walk up to her, and she takes a step down.

"Are you sure you're okay? Your eyes look puffy. They look like as if you were crying."

"I wasn't crying. I just had something in my eye, that's all."

"Both eyes?"

"Why are you so concerned? You've been back in town for half an hour and you think you can be my guardian?"

"I'm your brother. Of course, I'm concerned about you."

"You weren't concerned for the past 6 years. Now that you're back, you think you can actually be a part of my life? Ashton, I've lived without a dad for ten years, I've lived without a brother for six of them. All I had was Mom. At least she loved me enough to stay."

"You think I don't love you? Mae, of course, I love you."

"Don't. Don't lie, Ashton. That's what you said the day before you left. You didn't even bother to say goodbye. You didn't bother to call me. You didn't bother to even send me a damn card for my birthday!"

"Mae Jocelyn Parks, do not curse at me!"

"You can't tell me what to do! You're not my guardian! You're not my friend! I don't even consider you my brother."

She goes up the stairs, leaving me in shock.

It affected her a lot. How could I have been such a dumb-ass? I really need to make it up to her.

As I sit down on the couch, I remember the day before I left. The promises I made to her that I wish now I kept.

An 8-year-old Mae and I are in my room. She sits on my bed as I continue packing.

"I can't believe you're leaving tomorrow," she says.

"I'm gonna miss you."

"I'll miss you too, kiddo," I say as I sit next to her.

"This sucks. First dad leaves, now you."

"Mae-Flower, I promise, I'll visit on Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays. I'll call you every day. I'll be better than what Dad is."

"If you're better than him, then why are you leaving? Don't people say you're just like Dad?"

I sigh, thinking of a way to explain it to her.

"Mae," I say.

"I'm nothing like him. I'm leaving because my boss wants me to travel the world and take pictures for vacation sites. Dad left...because he wanted to. I'd never leave just to get away from you or Mom. No matter where I go, just don't forget that I love you, baby sis."

"I love you, too, big bro."

I wrap my arms around her, and she wraps her arms around my waist. I feel a tear roll down my face. Knowing this will be the last time I'll see my sister for a long time, I kiss the top of her head.

All of those I broke. Except for one. Being better than what Dad was. Maybe now I can still keep that promise.