Chapter 2

She didn't have to speculate for too long, however. When Hermione looked at who stood in the doorway, her eyes hardened and fury rose in her chest. It must have been a mistake. There was no way Draco Malfoy had been chosen. She thought he wouldn't have had the audacity to show his face at Hogwarts after what he did.

"Good morning, Mr Malfoy. If you would find your seat we can start our meeting." McGonagall's slightly downturned mouth didn't go unnoticed by Hermione. If she despised Draco so much, who had selected him for the role?

As she observed Draco, she noticed that apart from a quick nod to the professor, Draco's eyes didn't leave the floor. His shoulders were slumped and dark circles adorned his eyes, making it look like he hadn't slept in weeks. He approached the only vacant chair, which happened to be beside Hermione. When he sat, she finally stopped gawking at him in bewilderment and turned her attention to McGonagall.

"Now, your letters were not elaborate in regards to the duties you will be required to fulfil as Heads of Houses. As a brief run-down, you are responsible for the unification of the four houses. You will be the role models for changed beliefs, and obviously your behaviour is expected to be flawless." Everyone noticed that she looked pointedly in Malfoy's direction as she said this. "Events that celebrate our diversity will be held, classes will be made up of all houses instead of only two, and there will be no more house tables.

"Your job is to make sure this transition runs as smoothly as possible. There is no doubt that some students will find it hard to accept these new protocols. Weekly meetings will be held with the Prefects to discuss and organise matters. This will all make more sense as you get used to the changes. Now, any questions?" The professor's brusque explanation – and the fact that Malfoy had been chosen as Head Slytherin – had shocked everyone into silence so they all just shook their heads slowly, hoping everything would make more sense when they arrived at Hogwarts.

"Alright then. Good, I see everyone brought their belongings with them. You will travel the rest of the way in the Head's compartment." Hermione looked back at Draco, who just silently nodded at McGonagall again and hastily left the compartment. Cho and Ernie also stood and gathered their things, Ernie offering to carry Cho's trunk.

Hermione remained seated, and McGonagall looked at her with a sense of amusement. She waited until the others had exited, and then gushed her disbelief.

"Professor, I don't understand. How could Malfoy be chosen? He was a Death Eater, I'm sure there were other Slytherins more worthy of this role." Hermione's voice was a high shrill, and McGonagall looked at her sternly.

"Now, Miss Granger, I understand that you have reason to be upset. Frankly, I have to agree that Mr Malfoy does not quite fit the guidelines of an outstanding student. However, Dumbledore forcefully insisted that the Head of Slytherin be awarded to Draco Malfoy. It is true that he did terrible things during the war, but we must ask ourselves, would our actions have been any different if our family had been threatened as his was?" The intensity of Professor McGonagall's voice shocked Hermione into silence once again as she considered this thought. What would she have done if she were in Draco's position? She couldn't even bear the thought. Pity shrouded her earlier feelings of anger, and she nodded pensively.

"Yes, I suppose I can sort of understand it from that perspective," she murmured, still feeling confused as to why Malfoy was chosen over all other Slytherins. "Thank you, Professor. I'll see you at Hogwarts."

She gathered her trunk and Crookshank's cage, and slid the compartment door open. As she struggled through the doorway she felt a hand on hers. She looked up in surprise and saw Malfoy standing beside her, taking the handle of her trunk from her hands.

"What are you doing?" Hermione stuttered in disbelief.

"Sorry, you just looked like you could use some help." He smirked and she felt herself blush in embarrassment. She must have looked pretty dopey when she was trying to fit through the small door with all her things.

"Well – er – thank you, I guess." A sombre expression replaced his smirk, and she suddenly recalled her conversation with McGonagall. "Did you hear any of that?"

He didn't say anything, but his face gave it away.

"Listen I'm sorry, I didn't look at it from your –"

"Let's just not talk about it." His mouth turned up in a grim smile and he turned to walk down the hallway to the Head's compartment, still holding her trunk. She bit her lip, feeling ashamed that he had heard what she said. Even after all the terrible things he had done to her and her friends, she felt compassion towards him. What if he just wanted a second chance? As she continually reminded herself, she needed to stop dwelling in the past. It was time to start accepting other houses, and her first step was to forgive her childhood nemesis. They were adults now. Both of them had been through immense trauma and now needed to support each other.

But no matter what she told herself, she still felt apprehensive about having to deal with Malfoy as a fellow Head Prefect.