Chapter 20: Brotherhood

"It's so hard to see him locked up like this." I sighed looking through the bars.

"You're the one who locked him up." Damon responded.

"You helped." I replied.

"I couldn't have him running around chewing on people. While the town was looking for vampires, now, could I?" He asked with his usual Damon charm.

"It had nothing to do with you actually caring about him?" I questioned.

"Your thing, not mine." He shrugged. "So are you going to tell Elena?"

"In a sort..." I replied.

"Are you including a recap of that passionate kiss you shared?" He asked with a smirk.

"It was a one time thing.. He's going to forget it even happened, and I will too." I replied walking away from him to the first floor. Damon came shortly behind pulling out the device Pearl gave him the night of the pageant. "Did you ever figure out what that is?"

"Nope. Whatever it is, it doesn't work." Damon replied.

"Pearl didn't say anything else about it?" I asked folding the blankets that were on the couch. I'd been avoiding home for the past few days.

"She thought she was stealing his vampire compass, but that was a pocket watch. That Johnathan Gilbert was a crazy scientist. Have you spoken to your uncle lately?" He asked.

"I've been avoiding him, actually. That, and I've been here most nights." I replied.

"So, you'll be here again tonight?" He asked questioningly.

"Is that a problem?" I replied picking up my purse.

"Yes. You're a complete nuisance." He joked and I rolled my eyes.

"Hilarious.. So I'm going to get some stuff from my house, and I'll be back in a little bit." I replied walking around to the front door.

"Take all the time you need, it's brother bonding time." Damon smiled walking back to the basement door.

I rolled my eyes walking out the door. It was cold that morning, well aside from the fact that it was 40 degrees outside and I was wearing a shirt. I got into my car and turned up the heat to defrost the windows. After I could see out of different spots I put the car into drive and went carefully down the driveway. I couldn't stop thinking about Stefan, he was on my mind 24/7. He was trapped in that cell because of me, because I made him drink my blood, and I payed no attention to the fact that he was getting worse and worse everyday. I hadn't really slept and my mind would never stop thinking about how I kissed him and he didn't push away. Part of me thought maybe he thought about kissing Elena.. But I couldn't deal with being in love with him any more. He'd never be in love with me, but he'll always feel something for Elena... I clicked back to reality after a car started honking as it passed me. I turned to look quickly at the type of car it was but the back window was still frozen. I turned back to the road, but I was to late because a huge black truck crashed with mine. My car flipped over into the ditch and I couldn't get out. I reached for my purse to grab my phone. The blood was rushing to my head at a really fast rate. I clicked call and just as I heard Damon's voice I managed to mutter "Help Me," before falling out of consciousness.

I woke up with a sudden jolt. I was in a hospital room with nobody around. Of course no one was coming, they had better things to do then see me. I turned to my side and saw a glass of water on the bed side table. I couldn't remember if I was in and out, but I sat up straighter before taking the glass. A nurse came in to check on me and she was surprised to see me awake. I felt weak, but not to the extent that I couldn't do small things myself. Another nurse came in with a tray of hospital food. If they really thought I was going to eat that then they were crazy. This would be my third car accident. The bridge, the vampire, and now this... What makes me wonder is what was wrong with the driver. Was he drunk, or did he intentionally mean to hit me? Was he ordered from someone to try and kill me? Or was I just loosing my mind? After a minute I felt really tired again. I sunk back down into the bed, and shut my eyes. They fluttered up a little before I fell asleep and I saw a dark figure stepping into the room... About an hour later I woke up again, but I wasn't alone.