Chapter 12

Damien and I spent the rest of the day laying on his bed watching movies. It was nice in a way. It wasn’t something I was used to, but I enjoyed it. I felt… safe. And that’s not a feeling I’m very used to. It felt kind of weird at first. I’m used to getting hit and insulted, not hugged and complimented. Damien was really sweet, and I felt a bit guilty that I couldn’t return it. What was I supposed to say? Like I said, I’m not used to it.

“Can we go for a run?” I asked, looked up at Damien who looked down at me. My head was resting on his chest.

His green eyes flashed with worry. “I don’t know… John might come back, and although we’re both good fighters, he’ll have too many wolves with him.”

I lifted my head to face him and rested my chin and hand on his chest, giving him my sad eyes. I could already see him crumbling. “Please, Damien? Just for a few minutes,” I pouted.

Damien groaned. “You know I can’t resist that look.”

“I know,” I smirked, rolling off the bed.

“Hey!” Strong arms wrapped around my waste and pulled me back. “Where are you going?”

“Uh, off the bed?”

He smirked. “If I let you go on a run, I have to go with you.”

I chuckled. “Damien, I said can we go on a run.”

“Oh. Well then if we go I want something.”

“What?”

“A kiss,” he declared, a wide smirk on his face.

I smirked back. “Okay, when we get back though.”

Damien shrugged. “Whatever. But let’s not go out the,“ I jumped out the window, shifting midair, “window.” He glared down at me. “Really, Amber? Right as I say not to?”

I gave a wolfish grin as I trotted around in a circle, barking happily for him to come out. I heard him sigh, and I crouched down with my rear in the air, tongue hanging out, and tail wagging. Letting out a happy yelp, I jumped from side to side. Damien chuckled and shook his head at me before jumping out the window. He immediately lunged at me, and I jumped out of the way. We leaped around a bit, chasing each other, barking with excitement, before running off into the forest.

Pushing hard of the ground, I ran as fast as I could towards the waterfall. Leaping over rocks and fallen trees, weaving through the tall trees, throwing dirt and leaves up behind me, and feeling the wind through my fur was one of the best feelings ever. Add the fact my mate was with me made it even better.

I felt Damien coming up behind me, his large wolf running powerfully. I waited until he almost had me before adding more speed, slipping right out from under him as he leaped. This wasn’t as fast as I could go, but I would save that for when I really needed it. Looking over my shoulder, I saw Damien running even faster to catch up to me. Again, when he lunged, I moved. This time, however, I rolled to my right, avoiding his attack. I went to lay down on the ground and watched him as he stalked up to me, a low growl appearing when he got within fifteen feet of me.