Chapter 16

A light brown wolf lunged at me, the blue eyes gleaming with hatred. I jumped up, shifting mid-jump, and colliding with Kyle in the air. We tumbled to the ground, growls ripping through the air and shaking the ground as the sounds of the battle echoed around us. I pushed Kyle off of me, and we circled each other, waiting for the other to strike. The fighting around us faded into the background as years of hatred towards each other flowed through Kyle and me. My lip curled back as I snarled at him, my eyes glaring hate, daring him to strike.

Kyle gave in, his short patience vanishing as he darted towards me, swiping at my shoulder. I side-stepped, hooking his paws out from under him, but his claws snagged my leg and pulled me down with him. I regained my footing a moment too late because Kyle had charged into my side, knocking me down with him on top. Snarling, I pulled my hind legs back and thrust them into his stomach, sending him flying through the air and landing with a dull thump.

A yelp escaped my lips as claws scraped my shoulder, immediately spinning up on my forepaws and sending a back kick in the direction the blow came from. My back paw hit someone’s chin, knocking them back. I spun back around on my hind legs and jumped onto the attacker, teeth bared, but teeth in my tail yanked me back painfully. I tumbled back, but quickly found my balance as I faced my two attackers. Growling lowly, I crouched to the down, tilting my head to block a direct attack to my throat and therefore my death.

Before any of us could move, a dark brown wolf jumped by my side, snarling at my attackers who seemed startled, but that quickly turned to disgust and hatred. I stared at the wolf in shock. What was Justin doing?

I don’t want to hurt you, Amber. You’re a better friend than any of those idiots ever were, and I hate the Alphas, Justin pushed his thoughts into my head. We spent so much time together we were able to form this communication, though I didn’t form it with anyone else.

Thanks. You’re going to get kicked out, you know, I replied, giving him a look.

Justin nodded his wolf head before lashing out thorn sharp claws, slicing scars down the shoulder and chest of the white wolf in front of me. Following his lead, I whipped my head around in time to catch the paw of the beige wolf in my mouth, biting hard until I heard him yelp in pain.

A pain filled out reached my ears, and my head snapped up, turning in the direction that the howl I recognized so well came from. I saw Damien under four wolves, them attacking swiftly and fiercely, their well aimed and timed blows make it hard for him to defend himself and fight back. Growling, I lunged myself into battle alongside my mate, knocking one wolf away and tossing another aside. They immediately turned on me, and I faced them with teeth bared. I was aware of Damien behind me as he faced his own enemies. We were standing back-to-back, surrounded.

Kyle stalked into the center where Damien and I stood, glaring at me mockingly. He strode over to Damien, who was busy snarling at two wolves, and delivered a strike, blood welding on Damien’s side. He yelped and snapped at Kyle who easily dodged his attack. Narrowing my eyes, I attacked Kyle, rearing up and letting out a vicious snarl as I fell forward and put my own scratch marks on his side. He growled at me and swiped at air when I ducked, snapping at his throat in one of the death moves I’ve been trained in so well.

Kyle pushed me away as the beige wolf from earlier jumped at me, but I reared up and slashed my claws across his throat, hearing him land lifelessly on the floor as all my anger and hate against this pack came over me. The anger and hate from being locked up. From being abused. From them attacking the pack that’s taken care of me. From Kyle attacking my mate.

I forgot Damien was there, ignoring him as two more wolves came at me. I lowered my head and growled out a threat as the came within striking distance. They just bared their teeth in contempt and jumped on me. I rolled away from their outstretch claws, slashing mine down one’s stomach as he flew over me. Back on my paws, I bared my teeth, my fangs glinting in the sunlight.