Chapter Twelve

• Dedicated to All of My Fans

                                                            FREEDOM OF FIGHT                                             

What!!!!! Why am I saying this to myself?!?!?!? “What?!?!?!? Captured by bandits? But your location was kept a secret. How could anyone have found you?”

Andrew just shrugged his shoulders. “I haven’t the lightest idea. But they came while I was away in the market buying one of those loaves of bread, when I came back the inn was in ruins and there was a ragged note saying that the bandits had taken him. They didn’t list any demands, wanting, or reasons. They just took him.”

I stood there puzzling before I realized that we were moving again.

Now Jonathan spoke. “Do you know where they might have taken him?”

“Hard to say. Those particular bandits I’ve never seen so, I do not know where their possible hideout is.”

“Where’s the note they left?”

Andrew handed him a piece of paper that looked old, burnt, and crumpled. Jonathan opened it and it read:

By now you have realized that we have taken the young prince. He will be of great use to us. We will return him once we are done with his powers. Do anything and the prince dies.

~~~~~~

~~~~~~~

I gasped, I knew that signature. It was the mark of the River Thieves. They were once a small group of rebels. Now I can tell that they had more evil goals in mind than just stealing food.

“That’s the mark of the River Thieves, they raided our village’s market a few months ago, but I thought we ran them off.”

“We did, but no one dares to follow them where ever they go. So they may have found refuge in their unknown territory.” , Jonathan said to reassure me. It didn’t work.

Andrew spoke, “Well, ran off or deadly I do not trust any group of bandits no matter the bargin. So I need to warriors I can trust to find him.”

My natural instinct to deny that I have been training kicked in, strangely. “Well now you have Jonathan, whose the other?”

“Why, don’t deny that you yourself are a true warrior Annabeth. You and Jonathan will both go to rescue my son. I know it’s a burden to carry on your own, but I have no access to my knights here and I must stay to make sure that Alexsander does not find you missing. For if he does, then I will be thrown in his dungeon, and then it will be hell trying to bust me out of them weee bars if you know what I mean.” he said as he shook his belly fat.

I understood his tactics, and his heart’s logic, but it was risky and reckless, we could be killed. So there was only one answer. “Bring me my sword.”

And a gargantuan smile spread over his face.

***

As I tightened my scabbard around my waist, Jonathan was choosing our weapons, Andrew was fetching our horses, and Daniel was watching the corridors for any guards.

I was now physically prepared for this rescue mission. Mentally though, I had no words to say. I longed for the trill and excitement the battle would bring me, but also feared for the worst that could come of it.

Jonathan handed me my favorite blade. (I favored it for it’s swiftness and ability to slice without causing pain.) I held it in my hand, feeling the cool touch of the metal on top of my skin. It felt good to hold a sword without worrying if anyone would see me. At this point, I don’t give a damn if my father saw me right this very moment.

Andrew returned with our horses. I took the black mare and Jonathan took the brown stallion. We gave them each a loving pat on the side before we mounted them. Before we rode off Andrew spoke to them for the last time that night.

“Please bring him back. I miss my boy. Save him and I will forever repay you.”

I thought about it and I confirmed it. “Thank you Andrew.”

And we rode off.

***

Over the last five hours, I learned that horses can smell just as good as dogs. So with the parchment in hand the mare followed its scent to the middle of the woods, where there was a cave.

Leaping off the mare, I walked up to the entrance of the mass structure. I brought the parchment to my own nose, there was a faint foul smell to it. Then leaning into the cave, I found the same smell, but maximized.

I staggered back, choking on my own breath, I called to Jonathan behind me, “Yeah, this is it.” Then I coughed.

We both drew our swords and readied ourselves for any attackers. We entered(holding our breath of course) slowly. Along the jagged walls of the cave, I found many dead skeletons with swords where the skin should be. And on the ceiling their mark was drawn in blood. And on the floor, I’d rather not say.

Feeling sick, I looked just straight ahead, I whispered to Jonathan. “These men are horrifying.”

“I know. No wonder they were hated so much.”

Then, I asked a question that was eating at my soul. “Do you think we’ll succeed?”

He looked at me with the shock I was fearing he would give me. “Annabeth, I honestly do not know. But when all this is over, I will always love you forever.”

I smiled at his answer. “I will always love you too.”

Then we heard footsteps approaching, we tensed again, ready to strike. Remembering all that Jonathan has taught me, I was ready to face any one. So when the two men came into view, we lunged.