five;

"You could have died!" Jack yelled, shaking the worn apartment. Scream any louder and he'll tear the building down, I thought to myself, earning a hearty glare.

     "We don't know what kind of man he was! What if he wanted to rape you? What if he wanted to murder you?" He huffed, plopping himself down on a couch that had seen better days.

     "I- I'm sorry," I said, burying my head in my hands. Never had I gotten on my father's bad side, and nor did I plan to.

     "Sorry doesn't cut it young lady," Jack ran his hand through his green hair habitually, then proceeded to toy with a lose spring protruding from the couch.

     "Now, I'm going out to grab some dinner, and I think it's best you go a little hungry tonight," he growled, getting up and making his way toward the entrance to the apartment we call 'home'. "I will be back soon. And you better not fucking leave this room."

     He slammed the door in frustration, causing a few bits of debris to fall from the ceiling. I looked around in utter disbelief, trying to reason why someone would get angered over their offspring having contact with others.

     For a few moments I lost myself, looking around the apartment that held so many memories. The two mattresses crammed in the corner of the room served as our beds, the ones we slept on our first night in the city. A table with a broken leg; it looked so useless yet it provided us with somewhere to set our few belongings. Atop the table was a stuffed bear I received when I was younger. He was obviously not in the best condition when Jack had given him to me, but I had loved that bear all the same.

     Plunging myself from my memories, I glared at the front door, a nefarious smile spreading across my face. Jack may be overprotective, but if I could find that man- Mark- and strike up a friendly conversation, maybe that would prove I could take care of myself. With a final deep breath and a rebellious smirk, I grabbed the doorknob and left the gritty apartment I called home.