Chapter 6: The Changes

-Macey's POV-

I knocked twice before opening the door of Zed's room. My brow automatically raised and I crossed my arms upon seeing him. He's comfortably lying on his bed, tapping on his phone.

"Zed", I caught his attention. "...your Mom told you to get dressed yet there you are, busy with your phone. You know we need to be there on the airport even before Papa's plane lands.", I continued.

Yes, Papa will be coming home today. How happy I am! After so many years, he'll finally be home. I hope it's for good.

"Do you even need me there? You and Mom go. I'll be staying here.", he said without even bothering to look at me.

"Papa will be expecting you.....so hurry.", me ignoring what he said.

"I told you I'm not coming.", him.

"You need to."

"And who are you to tell me that?"

"Your lovely stepsister."

"So? You can't impose on me....anymore. That one time is enough."

Now what is he talking about??

Things have really changed between me and Zed. We rarely talk. And he became rude, unlike the old sweet and caring Zed I've known.

And I know I'm the one who asked for it. Stupid me. Now I'm wondering what could have happened if I didn't break up with him? ...if what happened to us almost three years ago can be considered a break up.

But I guess it's better this way. At least we don't have to deal with the complications of having a relationship with each other, if ever we didn't break up.

As for me? I'm just casual around him...the usual me, grouchy. I don't know... A lot of things just irritate me.

I was startled by the sound of the door slamming in front of me. See? How rude?!

I just went downstairs to tell Auntie that he's not coming.

*****

-Zed's POV-

I heard a car honking. They're home already? Only an hour and a half had passed..

Nevermind.....let the maids open the garage for them. So I just focused again on the game I've been playing.

But the honking became persistent...

I slapped my forhead. I forgot....we don't have a stay-in maid. Our maids visit every other day for the housekeeping. They'll be here tomorrow.

I have no choice but to get up, get out of my room, go downstairs, head to the garage, and open it for them.

"What took you so long??", Mom scowled as soon as she got off the car.

"Probably his phone..", it's Macey who answered, rolling her eyes.

"She's right.", I said nonchalantly.

"Hey there, lil dude! How are you? I missed you.", Uncle Dan said putting his arm on my shoulders.

"Do I still look little to you?", I asked trying to sound nice.

"Oh....sorry. Anyway, why didn't you come? I was expecting you there. I was planning to treat all of you for lunch, but then I just had it for take out. Let's unload the car later. For now, let's enjoy lunch!", Uncle Dan said.

And so we all head to the dining. Mom served the take outs.

While having lunch, Uncle Dan just kept on telling us his experiences when he's overseas. "Don't tell me you guys didn't build rapport with each other while I'm away?", he suddenly asked looking at me and Macey.

Macey remained quiet so I answered. "Well....things between us are normal. We're like cats and dogs most of the time. That's the norm between siblings right?", I said bluntly.

"Oh...really? I thought you don't want her to be your sibling? You kept on blabbering about that when you were small.", he said nonchalantly.

Macey got choked upon hearing what her Papa said. Me? If only things were still okay between US... I'd probably be blushing.. What?? Boys do blush.. But, since Macey ruined what we had, what Uncle Dan said sounded irritating.

"That was then.. Things were different now.".. I shoved my plate off and stood up from my seat. "I just lost my appetite. Sorry. Guess I'll just went up to my room."

I did what I said.

-Celia's POV-

I wonder what's up with my son. A lot has change about him. I was used to the sweet, thoughtful, bubbly him. But now... He would rather stay out of the house or be locked up in his room all day.

I wonder if Macey knows anything. I just caught her gaze following Zed. And her expression somehow seems to me as a .....guilt?

"Macey, do you know anything about Zed's changes in behavior? It was so sudden. I can't see any reason for him to be like that.", I asked.

Now...did I just caught her off guard?? Hmmm??